My Bf Bought Me A Titanium(thai Silk) Fh For Christmas :x

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Flowerhorns dont really get aggressive until the hit about 4-5 inches. Thats when they hit maturity and things become a lot different lol good luck with the snails :)

398038_10200420426938583_1025843837_n.jpg

the new FH residence :]  and i have not really had any issues of him with the plants, i think he really likes them.
ive added a few lily bulbs that were growing to the top in another tank.

19315_10200413961336947_1465209516_n.jpg

and here is the back side, its actualy grown quit a bit since this picture, this was the day or set up

My thai silk destroyed all my live plants as soon as he hit around 4-5 inches. He didnt touch them until until that point. I had loads of plants in there and the tank look exactly as i wanted but then all of a sudden i was waking up every morning to a few bits of plant floating about until eventually there were none left that were salvagable. He digs up all the sand too if hes not happy with it and he puts it where he wants it. You may be lucky but of all the storys i know of, flowerhorns and plants just dont mix lol they are better off with just some heavy rocks... they will even try to move them to where they want them so you have to make sure they are big and heavy so they stay in 1 place. Mine has also attack the magnet tank cleaner, the air stone (so I removed it) and the end of my filter inlet pipe.

LOL. typical FH behavior i see. 

2952_10200561355341705_2071440515_n.jpg

this is the tank now.. LOL more plants. ill just wait until he hits the period he starts pulling them up and move them all..i just felt kinda bad for the guy he never would stay in his cave in his other tank and this one he just swims around the pleco while it eats.. im waiting for the day i wake up to a have eaten pleco .. but its the only algae eater that even has a chance of making it around the FH

Yes iv heard of a few people keeping plecos with flowerhorns successfully. Although it didn't work out when i tried lol the pleco was around 9 inches whilst the flowerhorn was around 6. Although the flowerhorn couldnt physically eat the pleco it did just harass it constantly before i just had to rehome it. I dont think it could of taken much more. They were more than enough hiding places in the tank but it just wasnt going to turn out well. You may be since you have added them both when small but you wont kbow until the flowerhorn hits maturity. Then HE/SHE will choose if it wants tank mates or not. Dont worry... I cant see you waking up to no pleco. A pleco is very heavily armoured. Thier heads are like rock. The flowerhorn may just start to harass it as mine did.

Oh and i will be very surprised if the planrs last lol but yeah, no harm in having them there until the flowerhorn decides its time to redecorate its tank lol

This was my flowerhorn at around 5 inches... this is the point where he started to put on mass..

D17495E7-53F3-41A1-B71C-D67D6B59C710-1192-0000014712EB7D63.jpg

This is the pleco he was with which he battered around the tank...

24D3DC15-669B-4F87-9173-A802B5E07077-2574-0000041FF69478C9.jpg

go figure when i post about this guy, he starts acting like a terrible flowerhorn toddler and started "pushing" on the rocks that are FIRMLY in about 2 inches of sand lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVgyg903esc

here he is in action chomping some frozen beefheart cube.. 

and correct me if he is a she? i have yet to decide if his head constitutes his manly hood or not. 

i lol every time i see that^^ maybe im 7 years old at heart.

i was pretty sure on the male, like 99.5% but ive seen some people's "females" and im like. ehhhhh.

Definitely male. Another way of checking for sure is the shape next to the anal pore. A male has a v shape and a female will have a u shape.

i tried to check underneath but hes swimming too fast, but ive always thought him to be a male. 

does anyone have a thought on putting a flowerhorn with an arowana?

im sure people have done it, but we couldnt even keep our red/white devil cichlid with the arowana for longer than 6 months.. it ended up eating all of his food and the arowana ended up sitting in a corner afraid to go anywhere.  so we gave him to the LFS for trade on 2 nice sized red top Hongi's to add to the one i already had, and put those 3 with the aro, they seem to be doing WONDERFULLY... 

oh and when we took the red devil in we found out the LFS and our tanks have the exact same water parameters.. pretty much no acclimation required now other than temperature when we bring our babies home now :]

I wouldn't chance housing a flowerhorn with an aro. Or housing a flowerhorn with any other fish except maybe a big pleco for that matter. It will not turn out well. The flowerhorn will just end up constantly harassing it. Id go with a single flowerhorn and leave it at that. A lot of people would find a 300-400 litre tank boring with only 1 fish but this really is the safest option. Not only that but the personality of tye flowerhorn will be much better if kept alone. It has been done before but only in very large tanks. The minimum tank size for a siver arowana is 8ftx3ftx3ft. This gives them the the swimming length and also enough space to turn easily

thats what i thought, hes beautiful enough alone anyways!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back