My betta is sick! Please see if anyone could give some suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wfykitty

Reaction score
My betta is like 1-2 years old, male, in a 10 gallons tank. He has been with us for almost a year. Water ph and temperature are normal.
In the past 2-3 weeks, the body of the betta started to bulge, like 2 parts as marked in the image. He eats as normal, and everything else looks normal, except that he seems to sleep more than before.
I suspect that he has scale or ascites problem, but I am not quite sure though.

1634071735778.png

1634072065597.png

A bit hard to see, but it could be dropsy? I would dose aquarium salt and do water changes. Test the ammonia too. Do they have any tankmates? Did you add any new plants? They could also be constipated so fast them or give peas (only a small piece)

make sure to test all the parameters. The PH is definitely not enough to tell if it is a water problem. Make sure to wash all the gravel as if it is an infection it will be in the gravel.

I also see you have some snail in there. Make sure they are fine or they could have died and caused a nitrite spike.

A bit hard to see, but it could be dropsy? I would dose aquarium salt and do water changes. Test the ammonia too. Do they have any tankmates? Did you add any new plants? They could also be constipated so fast them or give peas (only a small piece)
Just tested the water, seems a bit Nitrate & very slight Ammonia. I don’t feel like it’s dropsy as the it is not like a big part pop up. It’s small and 2 separate parts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 63
I also see you have some snail in there. Make sure they are fine or they could have died and caused a nitrite spike.
Thanks for the reminder. Just tested Nitrite as well. Would such level of Nitrite be a concern to snails?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 64
It’s difficult to read colours accurately on a screen, but it looks as though you have some ammonia - have you done a water change..?

It’s difficult to read colours accurately on a screen, but it looks as though you have some ammonia - have you done a water change..?
I do waterchange like once a week.
Here are more images (under white light bulb)
63059F0F-4716-482E-88E5-F006D6026490.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E7E0274-3A14-4877-8AB5-7FC6DB9EAC2B.jpeg
    9E7E0274-3A14-4877-8AB5-7FC6DB9EAC2B.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 52
I don’t know enough to comment on the fishes health, but if there is any ammonia or nitrite you need to do an immediate water change until they are back to zero.

@Colin_T

I believe it’s swim bladder disease.
I just googled bladder disease. My betta has the similar symptoms of this disease on his body. While I see one other symptom of the disease is being unable to swim upright, it seem he can still swim freely so far. So I don’t know. Still searching.

It's easier for us to read your tests if you line the tubes up in FRONT of the card on the white bits between the color chart.

Swim bladder disorder/disease would not cause the fish to bloat up like this. Your ammonia looks high. Quite green in the tube. This is problematic.

It looks more like dropsy or a bacterial infection. This is often fatal. I would definitely work on getting that ammonia down. What does your maintenance routine look like?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back