My betta has popeye?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Margaanu

Reaction score
Hi all, im a beginner, my 3rd week with my betta. I would like to check with you if my betta has popeye.

Everytime i come home at night and turn on the light, he acts like blind for 15mins, banging plants or the tank! :(( After that though, he is normal, active and eating fine. I tried to check his eyes, and indeed they look bulging. However, i dont even know how betta’s normal eyes should look like. So I’m worried, and would like to address any issues early.

I put him in 1.5-2gallon tank, (might be not ideal and i’m thinking to get a bigger one). Change water every 4-5days with tap water (again, not ideal). Feed him pellet and some live food as treats.

Appreciate if you could share with me
1. How betta’s normal eyes should look like? Flat? What colour?
2. Why does my betta become temporarily blind first time i turn on lights? Is it normal reaction of “waking up from sleep”?
3. Do you think my betta have popeye?
4. If yes, what should i do?

Thanks!
78E8ED23-7AD4-4671-A0F0-66A6949BDDE6.jpeg
60A5258E-B305-40F1-9626-D07EBB1B17BC.jpeg

Your betta's eyes look normal to me.

When you turn the tank lights on, is the room in darkness just before? If it is, this is the reason. Fish eyes take up to an hour to adjust to changes in light as they cannot adjust their pupil size like our eyes do. The room should have some other form of lighting for an hour before the tank lights turn on, either daylight or room light. And at the other end, after the tank lights turn off the room should be lit for an hour.

As long as you add dechlorinator (water conditioner) to the new water and warm it to the same temperature as the tank water, using tap water is not a problem. That's what most of use use. The only time tap water should not be used is if it is known to be unfit for human consumption, or if it is very hard and you use a water softener. In the latter case, the bypass tap should be used.

I agree regarding the eyes. They look perfectly normal to me. Fish looks healthy.

Thanks Essjay and Deanasue, that’s relieving! Yes, it’s the room lights that i need to work with. Regarding water, here in southeast asia people never drink untreated tap water. So i might need to ask around how people do it here.
Happy weekend!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back