my betta care journey...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hello :) thought id just share my betta care journey :)

ok, my first betta was a family betta, i dont rememder him to much. but he lived in a 1.5 gallon with one hide. then my great grandmother gave us a 2 gallon "bubble gum macine" tank and he died. but no one knew were he went, like he wasent floating.

then my b day rolled around and we got a half-moon blue male, i named him Betty, he lived in the 1.5 gallon tank with gravel and a new hide that still wasent that great. he died 2 years later

then another b day happened and i got another blue half-moon male, i named him Beta. i was using the same food and tank and hides as Betty.

my brother got jelios of me and saved his money and got a red crown tale male. he had no name (as i rememder) he lived in a flower vase with, thank god, a live plant. we had Beta for 3 years and no-name for 2.

then i had another bday (because we dont only have two!) and i got ANOTHER blue half moon male and he lived in the 1.5 gallon for around 5 months, then my mom got the betta falls kit and we got 2 more bettas. the older one died. we got a group of guppies and only 2 remand for a while, then the died off. one other betta died and one remaind. i wonder why exactly he looked so sad so i looked it up. i leard that the minmum tank was 2.5, so i got all our hides and artifical plants and moved him to a 3 gallon bin tank with gravel and playsand. but he still had no heater, filter, bubbler, or live plants. i put him into hot water too fast...

last month we got 3 female bettas for a ten gallon. i made the same mistake by putting them into hot water too fast... two died.

last week we got two more and one died bc it got stuck between the hide and gravel (dont ask how) and i was helping it but i last my grip on the hide and sqaushed in. so i put the two other bettas in there cups so they would not fight for alfa. ruby (the red one) died bc she was over weight, but idk how the other one died.

i dont have and now, but i and gonna get 5 or 7 to put in a 47 gallon with 10ish tetras, shirmp, and snails :)

Wow! I am sorry about all the ones that passed away. There is so much misinformation out there, it is awful isn’t it? That is amazing how long some of those bettas lived! I am sorry about all the females. Sometimes we make mistakes, and it is awful When something dies because of it, but now you have learned and know so much more for next time you try bettas! Thank you for sharing all your betta history! I always had a hard time admitting my first betta lived in an unfiltered 2 gallon bowl until the day she died. It seems like this is how the majority of people begin keeping fish, a betta in a cup. But many many times I have seen it introduces them to the greater joy of the rest of the hobby.

i dont have and now, but i and gonna get 5 or 7 to put in a 47 gallon with 10ish tetras, shirmp, and snails :)
Just be so careful with the tetras! If you can, I would take the bloodfins and silver tails/tips back to the store and get some neon tetras or green neon tetras, as they usually do much better with fish, such as bettas (even the females) with those fluttery, wavy fins and all those bright colors!

Most reactions

Back