My BETTA Againnnnn

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Kayra101

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,my betta had a hole in its fins and it was kind of healing because my water is good and I added some salt ,but I just came back earlier and I canā€™t believe it ,Iā€™m shockedddd!!!!im devastated ,I donā€™t know what to do anymore ,I do all I can and itā€™s just not getting better.

The hole is even bigger!!!and there is a tear right down the fin ,which is Definitely from all of its flaring ,but how can the hole be from the flaring???? Because itā€™s not on the side of its tail ,itā€™s in the middle.Im sooo worried ,my betta just looks one big mess ,I donā€™t understand why itā€™s giving me sooo much trouble ,is it all the flaring doing this??? Because I put a mirror to the side of the tank to see if when it flares the tail rips ,and the hole did get a tiny bit bigger.How can I stop all this flaring????

Attachments

• C03E154E-0FFC-45E2-8117-8BC60DEDF8FF.jpeg
    C03E154E-0FFC-45E2-8117-8BC60DEDF8FF.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 133
Can we get a better look at the whole tank?

How can I stop all this flaring
don't put a mirror next to his tank and remove anything that is shiny or reflective. When his fins have healed you can put them back.

The hole could be from bacteria or he might have caught it on something. There have been a lot of reports during the last couple of years with male guppies and male Bettas developing holes in their fins even when kept in clean tanks. These usually turn out to be bacterial infections that don't respond to medication and the fish eventually dies.

Monitor the hole, keep the water clean, and hope for the best.

Bad idea. Treat with Bettafix. It works like a charm.

Maybe it does actually have a bacterial infection ,but it doesnā€™t look like it?? None of its fins have discoloured or anything.oh nooo I just looked at the tank now and the hole in his tale has ripped even more and now itā€™s gotten to the edge of his tail and he looks like a crow tail.

Everybody tells me not to use bettafix or melafix and stuff ,shall I just go for it?? I mean,maybe it will coat their gills for a tiny bit but not for the rest of their lives right?its pretty much an emergency at this point,salt ainā€™t gonna do anything.

Attachments

• CDED6FE5-A629-4BB0-B60E-BFDCE7CB109C.jpeg
    CDED6FE5-A629-4BB0-B60E-BFDCE7CB109C.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 137
If you could put your other fish in another tank this might help. He would be less agitated/ aggressive if he had his own space and the flaring would reduce. Guppies are going to antagonize him as he thinks they are other bettas in his territory.
Hope he recovers soon.

I don't recommend using them but if you want to try Betta-fix, Mela-fix or Pima-fix, make sure you have lots of aeration/ surface turbulence so there is some gas exchange.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it.

Melefix is not meant for labyrinth fish @Colin_T, are you aware that it might clog up their labyrinth organ? I could be wrong, but this is what I have been told. :)

Yes, he is aware :)

I don't recommend using them but if you want to try Betta-fix, Mela-fix or Pima-fix, make sure you have lots of aeration/ surface turbulence so there is some gas exchange.
My bold highlighting.

I would go for the big guns since this seems to be aggressive. Get some Seachem Kanaplex. It is the best! If it doesnā€™t knock it out, nothing will. Iā€™m using on my betta right now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back