My axolotl, Kirby!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
My axolotl arrived today! They are now legal here, and so...

His color is called Lucy for short (basically heā€˜s pink) i named him Kirby after the little pink video game guy. He is so darn cute I can hardly stand it. He ate a bunch of black worms and explored his tank (I used some filter media from my established 55 gallon tank, put some plants in, and let it run. Iā€™m still planning on monitoring the water parameters though) and is getting all settled in. I only got one good picture of him, but I wanted to show him to you all still!

Edit: well the picture isnā€™t good, but itā€™ll do

Attachments

• 14953B11-050A-43DC-8C76-1563F3505F14.jpeg
    14953B11-050A-43DC-8C76-1563F3505F14.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
OH MY GOD HES SO CUTE!!!
i love salamanders
i want one but it will eat my fish :(
tank params?
so is it "fish"- in cycling?

OH MY GOD HES SO CUTE!!!
i love salamanders
i want one but it will eat my fish :(
tank params?
so is it "fish"- in cycling?
Yeah, I looked into doing guppies with him, but since heā€™d likely eat them or theyā€™d nip his gills I ended on the decision to keep him in a tank all his own. The parameters are all good right now, since he hasnā€™t been in the tank for more than just today. I donā€™t know that it would be considered fish in cycling, since I pulled cycled media from an established tank, what do you think? I will be doing daily parameter checks and Be ready for water changes though for sure, should the need arise!

Yeah, I looked into doing guppies with him, but since heā€™d likely eat them or theyā€™d nip his gills I ended on the decision to keep him in a tank all his own. The parameters are all good right now, since he hasnā€™t been in the tank for more than just today. I donā€™t know that it would be considered fish in cycling, since I pulled cycled media from an established tank, what do you think? I will be doing daily parameter checks and Be ready for water changes though for sure, should the need arise!
Good plan, should be fine...what size tank?

Do you have a chiller? Or is it cold enough where you live?

Good plan, should be fine...what size tank?
Right now since heā€™s small heā€™s in a 20 gallon long tank half filled. It has an Aquaclear 50 filter that spills onto some rocks to make the flow not so strong. Iā€™m working on painting a new stand so that as he grows I can upgrade him to a 40 breeder. (My current stand can only fit a 20 long)
Do you have a chiller? Or is it cold enough where you live?
I donā€™t have a chiller, but I have a fan on the tank and itā€™s staying right about 67, which is within their temperature range (especially while theyā€™re growing). The fanā€™s battery keeps dying so Iā€™m looking for a longer charger cord so it can just stay plugged in 24/7 and hopefully keep the temps a little lower (Iā€™m aiming for 65)

i think it still is fish salamander-in cycling
since there isnt any bac on all the deco
whats that plant in the right?
never seen that before...
looks very strange and beautiful!

yes!
i PERSONALLY think you should water change more often when cycling, i just like to keep things clean when stuff is established.

yeah guppies like to nip long flowy things
as well as pretty much any livebearer similar to guppy

You don't need a chiller unit for axos. We have them in tanks in Australia and the water temperature hits 30C during summer and drops to 5-10C (indoors) in winter.

You don't need a chiller unit for axos. We have them in tanks in Australia and the water temperature hits 30C during summer and drops to 5-10C (indoors) in winter.
in their natural habitat, the temperature of the water doesn't go above 70F

if an animal survives, it does not automatically mean that it's happy

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I wonder if them being bred, born, and raised in those temps has to do with their tolerance for it?

whats that plant in the right?
never seen that before...
looks very strange and beautiful!
That is a mosaic Ludwigia plant. I talked my mom into buying a tub of it for the koi pond when we were at a pond plant water garden, and got her permission to take a few stems for Kirby.
0A942F42-6F3C-481A-AA24-4D1B0D1B0ED4.jpeg
00B94C1B-F381-4CCF-A540-1168221A01B6.jpeg

B82F05DF-CE99-4CB3-8389-B449481FADE2.jpeg
71A5072B-9C5A-49F0-9618-2F60583534F6.jpeg
EBC8173B-9E2C-4268-8BC6-70B55EF473ED.jpeg
A10EF082-5F7B-4808-8BEB-0BB9AA852650.jpeg

I got a few better photos of him today! I found my phone, which takes better photos. I lost it, turns out it fell under my bed.

Someone really ought to tell him worms are for eating, not wearing;):wub:

C4DBAA6F-5CB1-4034-9155-396BC90CD1DA.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back