FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
As expected, the old wooden fishing pole held by my Asian Fisherman rotted and broke. I felt really bad for him and he looked so sad without his pole.

So I gave him a gift. I made him a brand new shiny solid brass pole. That should last him a lifetime.

New pole
77E516F4-6B27-41B7-8BD1-FCC764DE5CCC.jpeg

old pole
6C41B7D2-4907-4D47-B136-76D981369940.jpeg

Last edited:
Clever. Looks good! Since brass is an alloy of copper and zinc will the copper have any effect on your water and/or will the zinc corrode over time? I don’t know the answer to this, seriously curious. Ha ha.

Brass can corrode in salty or very acidic water. But in fairly hard fresh water it would probably take decades to corrode. I do weekly 50% water changes so I don’t think brass would affect the fish.

If it were beginning to corrode, I could coat it with silicone.

That’s really cool. I’ve been wanting an Anubis statue in one of my tanks to replicate The Mummy Hamunaptra scene since my tanks have sand. I wonder if I could get a brass one and it would be safe. I haven’t seen any fish tank specific Anubis statues. Your fisherman pole turned out really well. The fisherman looks happy again. Ha ha.

I don't know if I’d put a large brass ornament in the tank. It would probably discolor over time and not look very good and being so large could increase copper levels . My pole is pretty small. If need be, I could change it for a steel rod...that would add iron to the water and may benefit my plants.:#

Last edited:
All the pipes in my house are copper and my python adapter is brass. Yet, I'm still alive and my fish seem healthy.

Last edited:
That’s really cool. I’ve been wanting an Anubis statue in one of my tanks to replicate The Mummy Hamunaptra scene since my tanks have sand. I wonder if I could get a brass one and it would be safe. I haven’t seen any fish tank specific Anubis statues. Your fisherman pole turned out really well. The fisherman looks happy again. Ha ha.

Anubis's staff is about the size of my fishing pole. I wouldn't chance such a large brass piece in the tank...

My asian fisherman just looked up at me and said “thanks man”.

40AE4AE8-139F-49FA-A953-283D064588F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure if the clear coating would be safe

brass is fine, don't touch it. If there was going to be a problem it would happen straight away.

You don't speak Mandarin very well. I just lip read what he said. He said . . . "Foolish American ! That was a $500 dollar bamboo fly rod you just threw away !"

He told me he would prefer a more solid pole as he may go deep see fishing. A fly rod won't do very well when you're fishing for Blue Marlin!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back