My aquarium just won’t cycle so I thought I would ask for advise before throwing in the towel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Daviem

Reaction score
Hi, I have a brackish aquarium that eventually is supposed to be a full saltwater aquarium, the fish are brackish until they reach adulthood, the aquarium setup is 2-3 months old now, has multiple filters, biomedia, seachem matrix, tetra bio media, fluval biomedia, sponges etc, I have added tons of stability from multiple bottles at the correct doses, not turned on the UV steriliser to stop it killing the stability and it just wont cycle, I do however have some bacteria I dont want growing like a white slime which I tried to get it cycled for ages at a salinity of 1.005 then I thought maybe its too high for freshwater but too low for marine so I upped the salinity to 1.008 and still nothing, ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates as in none ever, both on API test kits and the shoddy seachem test kits which turned brown instead of blue or green, seachems response is theres something in my aquarium interfering with prime and stability and their test kits, the only things that I add to the RO water is instant ocean, and prime because the ammonia keeps going up despite the aquarium having only two small fish in 79 gallons of water and sometimes seachem amguard as I only have ammonia so I think whats the point in using prime, and yes I do massive water changes and I dont feed them enough because of the ammonia issue, Also the seachem badge is 2 months old and no longer changes colour the ammonia was very high today and I hadnt added prime for 4 days the badge was yellow.

Its obviously not good for the fish and Im starting to think I should find a new home for the fish despite spending a fortune on the aquarium and the equipment, as nothing is working out, either seachem sells defective products or theres something in the water in my area if im to go by what seachem is stating that theres something in the water.

Heres the info i managed to pull out of suppliers about the brackishwater, seachem it was like pulling teeth.They said their stability should work in brackish water something in my RO water is stopping it work. Also advised dont use prime or amguard or stability let the tank cycle itself. Well I need to add something I cant change the water everyday for ever its already been 2-3 months.

Fluval cycle (havent used it and dont know if I should bother) response was works in saltwater and freshwater to my question does it work in brackish water, so I asked again specifying Im asking about brackishwater the response was yes it does.

ATM (No response)

the ph is 7.5

Does anyone know why the tank may not be cycling?

You can close/disregard this thread I decided to return the fish as all supplements for the aquarium have been useless and in the uk you can’t get proper antibacterial medication for your aquarium just toxic ones and despite searching for two months and contacting loads of places no one has given any advise that has helped.

According to do googly (aka interweb thingy), Seachem matrix removes ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This would stop the filter bacteria from developing.

I don't know what tetra bio media is.

Filters should just have sponges in

What is stability?

I would stop using stuff and don't add anything. Just let the fish cycle the tank without all the other stuff. Have some sponges in the filter, feed the fish a couple of times a week and do a huge water change once a week.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back