My Ammonia and Nitrite have gone up!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cardinal Tetra246

Reaction score
Hi my fish tank recently had a random spike of ammonia and nitrite my tank also went green? I moved my new male betta fish to my second tank. I've had my fish tank set up for about a year and a half and never had any problems like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

API freshwater master test kit:
  • PH: 6.6 (it was recently 7.0?)
  • Ammonia: 0.50ppm (this was 0ppm last week)
  • Nitrite: 0.50ppm (this was 0ppm last week)
  • Nitrate:0ppm

I'm not sure exactly what is wrong, but are all of the fish that were in that tank out? That's not a safe amount so if you can get out any fish in there, be sure to do so. Have you made any recent additions to the tank? Did you do a large gravel or filter clean lately? Is there any ammonia in your tap water? Pictures might also be helpful identifying the problem. Furthermore, how many fish are in your tank and what are they?

I'm not sure exactly what is wrong, but are all of the fish that were in that tank out? That's not a safe amount so if you can get out any fish in there, be sure to do so. Have you made any recent additions to the tank? Did you do a large gravel or filter clean lately? Is there any ammonia in your tap water? Pictures might also be helpful identifying the problem. Furthermore, how many fish are in your tank and what are they?
Hi thanks for responding I have 9 Glowlight Rasbora and a male Betta fish. I moved my male betta fish in my 25L tank I'm not sure if there is enough room for the glowlight to go in there as well I have 6 black neon tetra in my 25L already. What do you think?

Yeah, that 25l can't house all of those fish together. We will need to pinpoint the problem quickly. When was the last time you cleaned the tank? How about the filter, when was the last time you cleaned that and how did you clean it? Do you clean out your gravel? When was the last time you did that? Did you clean it really well? Do you have any plants in the tank? Also what it the size of the problem tank? Also, does your tap water have ammonia in it?

Yeah, that 25l can't house all of those fish together. We will need to pinpoint the problem quickly. When was the last time you cleaned the tank? How about the filter, when was the last time you cleaned that and how did you clean it? Do you clean out your gravel? When was the last time you did that? Did you clean it really well? Do you have any plants in the tank? Also what it the size of the problem tank? Also, does your tap water have ammonia in it?
I cleaned my tank about two weeks ago. I cleaned the filter about 3 weeks ago in a bucket of water from the fish tank. I cleaned my sand the same time I did a water change. My main tank is 90L. I just tested my tap water and there is no ammonia or nitrite in it.

I cleaned my tank about two weeks ago. I cleaned the filter about 3 weeks ago in a bucket of water from the fish tank. I cleaned my sand the same time I did a water change. My main tank is 90L. I just tested my tap water and there is no ammonia or nitrite in it.
No need to move fish, do water changes on the problem tank until ammonia and nitrites are at zero. Make sure to use declorinator and temperature match the new water to the same temp as the tank. Since your tap water doesn't have ammonia or nitrite, that's great, you can water change to make that tank safe again.

Do that first, ASAP, now if possible - ammonia in the tank is an emergency. Then come back here and we'll try to figure out why it happened :)

image.jpg

Once you've done the water changes(s), then come back so we can puzzle this out. Change 75% of the water, then test again for ammonia and nitrites. If there's still a reading, do another water change.

What changes have you made to the tank recently? Any new fish? Any changes to filtration or substrate? How often and how large a water change do you usually do?

No need to move fish, do water changes on the problem tank until ammonia and nitrites are at zero. Make sure to use declorinator and temperature match the new water to the same temp as the tank. Since your tap water doesn't have ammonia or nitrite, that's great, you can water change to make that tank safe again.

Do that first, ASAP, no if possible - ammonia in the tank is an emergency. Then come back here and we'll try to figure out why it happened :)

Do that first, ASAP, no if possible - ammonia in the tank is an emergency. Then come back here and we'll try to figure out why it happened :)
Thank you so so much! I have already moved my male betta fish to my other tank (25L) and changed 20L of the water in my 90L tank. Can I move my betta back when the problem is fixed?

Thank you so so much! I have already moved my male betta fish to my other tank (25L) and changed 20L of the water in my 90L tank. Can I move my betta back when the problem is fixed?
Once you've done the water changes(s), then come back so we can puzzle this out. Change 75% of the water, then test again for ammonia and nitrites. If there's still a reading, do another water change.

What changes have you made to the tank recently? Any new fish? Any changes to filtration or substrate? How often and how large a water change do you usually do?
I normally do 20-30L water changes. I just did 20L what should I do now.

Was just about to say that, water change until all are testing 0

As long as there is 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, and the green has gone away at least a bit then yes, but we still don't know the cause of this.

I normally do 20-30L water changes. I just did 20L what should I do now.
Change 75% of the total water volume, that should get it to zero. Test it again to make sure, then come back and let us know. Urgent! Ammonia and nitrite are literally burning your fishes gills as we speak. Water change first, now, then we can figure out the rest later.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back