My Ammonia and Nitrite have gone up!

Thoes might be eggs, but Im not sure. Did you find the missing fish? How are ammonia/nitrite levels?
Hello again sorry for the late reply the levels are much better.
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Ammonia 0.00-0.05

sadly can’t find the missing fish.

Hi, I'm sorry about your fish, did you check in the filter and around the tank? The levels are much better but still need to be 0 to be safe. Try doing one more water change and that should solve it. Is the water still green?

Hi, I'm sorry about your fish, did you check in the filter and around the tank? The levels are much better but still need to be 0 to be safe. Try doing one more water change and that should solve it. Is the water still green?
I checked the filter and can’t find him in there. No the water is no longer green.

I checked the filter and can’t find him in there. No the water is no longer green.
Well the water color is a good sign. I am once again so sorry about your fish. I would do the water change now, check to make sure the levels are at 0, then just continue to test every day for at least another week along with a daily water change. If there is any more fluctuation, be sure report it.

What are those? They look like eggs.
I don't know what those are either. What fish/shrimp/snails are in the tank?

Could be that the missing fish died and the remains have since been eaten by the other fish, but seems a likely culprit for the sudden ammonia spike, if you've made no other changes. A decomposing fish releases a lot of ammonia into a tank.

The important part for now is to keep testing daily, and doing water changes anytime ammonia or nitrites are above zero. The higher the reading, the more important it is to do large water changes to dilute it out.

I am concerned that you're still getting a reading for ammonia and nitrites even after large water changes, without finding the fishes body. A 75% W/C on a 90 L tank should have removed that 0.5 ammonia and nitrite, so the fact you're still getting a reading means something is still releasing ammonia into the water, and it's more ammonia than your filter can safely process. I'd look again, thoroughly, for the body of the missing fish. and also look into what else might be producing too much ammonia. Whether your tank is overstocked, under-filtered, over fed, or what, otherwise you might continue to find yourself playing catch up, or wake up to find your whole tank dead :(

Ammonia and nitrites literally burn fish, and are eventually deadly, so you want to be on top of this testing and water changing, along with determining the cause.

Well the water color is a good sign. I am once again so sorry about your fish. I would do the water change now, check to make sure the levels are at 0, then just continue to test every day for at least another week along with a daily water change. If there is any more fluctuation, be sure report it.
My local fish store said to do that. Thanks anyway I really appreciate it.??

@adomanim
That method of fishless cycling is very old school. Keeping ammonia at 2 ppm will make so much nitrite it will probably stall the cycle. The ammonia eating bacteria will not starve if ammonia drops to zero - after a few weeks they will go dormant, dying slowly after a few months with no ammonia.
This is the method we recommend for fishless cycling. In this method, ammonia is only added once certain targets have been reached which prevents nitrite getting high enough to stall the cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Back