My Amazonian Set Up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fighterfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,
So i gave up on the idea of having a American cichlid set up as the fish i wanted wouldn't have mixed.
So, instead i am changing my 30 galllon in to an Amazonian set up.
My stocking will be:
6x Hatchet fish- for the top with nothing else on the surface.
6x Angelfish- just normal tailed ones, not the veiltails as i am not to keen on them.
8x Largish tetras (e.g.-bleeding heart tetras)
7x cories (6xpeppered and my fianl remaining emerald cory 6 years old!!!)
2x Bristlenose plecs i have.
6x Ottos to help in the fight against algae.
2x Rams
2x Keyholes

All my other commutnity fish that aren't Amazonian are for sale if anyone in St Albans Hertfordshire is interested.
Please anyone who has any stocking suggestions or other 'largish' tetras please post your opinions.
Thanks,
Luke
SF

Hi,
So i gave up on the idea of having a American cichlid set up as the fish i wanted wouldn't have mixed.
So, instead i am changing my 30 galllon in to an Amazonian set up.
My stocking will be:
6x Hatchet fish- for the top with nothing else on the surface.
6x Angelfish- just normal tailed ones, not the veiltails as i am not to keen on them.
8x Largish tetras (e.g.-bleeding heart tetras)
7x cories (6xpeppered and my fianl remaining emerald cory 6 years old!!!)
6x Ottos to help in the fight against algae.
2x Rams
2x Keyholes

All my other commutnity fish that aren't Amazonian are for sale if anyone in St Albans Hertfordshire is interested.
Please anyone who has any stocking suggestions or other 'largish' tetras please post your opinions.
Thanks,
Luke
SF

Sounds like a bit much for a 30g if I'm honest. I like the idea of the tank though.

good luck will you be posting pics soon??? :good: :good: cant wait :good: because i wanted an Amazonian tank set up and i would like to see the way you set up yours?any way good luck :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

Thanks guys.
Yeah i thouhgt it might be a bit overstocked. I think i will go down to:
4x Angels
4x Hatchets

I will post pics asap. The only reason i can't post them now is because my computer is terrible. But getting a new one within the next week or so.
So it will be ready in time to post pics.
Keep the comments coming guys.

Yeah, I would say it's a bit much, especially as some of the fish are quite terratorial. Perhaps

6x Hatchet fish
2x Angelfish (although start with six and wait for a pair to form)
8x Largish tetras
7x cories
2x Keyholes or 2x Rams

What sort of filter are you planning? A large exernal would be best, especially as most of the fish aren't too keen on a high flowrate. Are you doing black water as well?

Ooh Feeshy that sounds good. I mite not have Rams as the Keyhole pair i already have got.
And my original idea of 6 angles and then hopefully a pair would form.
I am running a fluval 405 on the tank at the moment.
And 'brads' if you think it is overstocked perhaps you could give me some advice and what stocking you have in your tank.

Yeah, I would say it's a bit much, especially as some of the fish are quite terratorial. Perhaps

6x Hatchet fish
2x Angelfish (although start with six and wait for a pair to form)
8x Largish tetras
7x cories
2x Keyholes or 2x Rams

What sort of filter are you planning? A large exernal would be best, especially as most of the fish aren't too keen on a high flowrate. Are you doing black water as well?

Still seems quite a lot. Maybe if the filtration and maintenance was adequate.

SiameseFighter - Since this is a Amazon tank, are you going to heavily plant it?

Well i am not exatctly heavily planting it. However, i have got a lot of bogwood in there and a few plants.
Bunch of cabomba.
teneluss water rose.
Vallis (twisted and straight)
Creeping jenny.
Hygrophila polysperma.
Crypts.2 species.
Water wystria.
ricccia.
And more so i guess it is pretty planted.
Thanks,
SF

If it was me, i would do this:

12 x Cardinal Tetras
6 x Lemon Tetras
2 x Bristlenose plecs (the ones you already have)
2 x Rams or Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid
7 x Those cories you have

If i was you, i would overfilter it, with weekly water changes of about 25%-30% (maybe more).

Cardinals especially like heavily planted tanks to be comfortable.

Thanks 'Gnatfish' that sounds good. But i am trying to save some cash and am using as many of the fish in my community at the moment as possible so the keyholes will definetely going in. I like the sound of Lemon Tetras they look good and i forgot that i have got cardinals in my community already so i might use them.
Thanks,
SF

Well i am off to my LFS now on my bike for the 10 mile round trip. To get the fishys i even put a heat pack in my special fish carrying bag.
Thanks,
Luke

I think this is a great idea. However I hope you know that most likely if you keep cardinals and angels, the cardinals might not be there the next morning. Not that you said you where doing this I just though I' let you know. get luck, the tank sounds like it's going to be awesome, I can't wait to see pics.

how tall is the tank? angels need at least 18" tall, they generally need a 40g+

Keyhole cichlids will also eat small tetras (and indeed other small fish) so care has to be taken there.

True Amazon set ups don't include substrate rooted plants, the heavily coloured waters of the Amazon allow very little light to penetrate which supresses the growth of submerged aquatic plants, it is only in the peak of the wet season when rivers flood into the forest that plants are in abundance, and these are mainly terestial plants which are able to survive a few months submerged. A true Amazon set up will be made up using roots and vines to form tall structures in the tank with a few pieces of riccia (or java moss if riccia isnt available) tied to them close to the surface and floating plants such as salvinia on the surface.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back