my albino oscar

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

st.cichlid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i bought a albino oscar and i didnt know they were dyed he didnt have a slime coat and was almost dead but i got him took him home i didnt know he needed to be kept in a 55 gallon(damm jack ass at petsmart said 10 gallons was enough)i put him in a 5 gallon with a female and did okay my dad killed my pictus catfish the female died in a hot water accident and he was alone put him in a 10 gallon and almost died 'cause of a crappy heater my dad said there was no oxygen but i checked the temp. and it was 66 i put him in a 30 gallon and my gouramis guarded him while he was laying on his side i got his slimecoat back too( :byebye: whiskers rip) he recovered and i got him a female in a few weeks ever since it was happiness and bliss :wub:

Oscars can grow to 16 inches so you need a 75g just for one with no other fish, so you will need to move them soon, and I don't think Albino Oscars are dyed they are just an Albino form that was breed by normal Oscars and then rebreed with another albino.

Then I presume you will be moving them again as within a year or two if they stay together you will need roughly 140 gallons :crazy: .

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*huff huff*eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

You always seem to be getting into these situation st.cichlid!! You'd think you would learn to research fish before buying!!

LOL :D

I am worried for all thos 'coming soon' plecs in your sig!! :nod:

Have you chacked out the canal plec thread by the way? Common plecs and sailfins come from florida canal waters.

hmmmm im going to have to get maybe a 75 after the 55 i need to get it now 'cause they are getting kinda big i might just put the plecos in sepate tanks

I wonder why so many people have problems with petsmart? The petsmart is my area is mostly good. They have a few bad employees but most of them are knowledgable (they are the ones that I go to when I get fish).

Anyways, oscars seem to be annoying fish to me. They are too smart (and large) for their own good. Once they start getting big their tanks have to be empty because they poop too much and wreck ornaments. Plus they have a tendency to tear heaters apart so a special cage has to be put around the heater to save it from being lunch. They are good jumpers too. A friend that I had as a child had an oscar jump through the hood (knocked open the hatch even though it was weighted down).

Hey st. Cichlid

Nor should you want to change your mind. If you like them, keep them. Oscars are very endearring fish, friendly giants.

As long as you are willing to provide the proper conditions. If you want to breed a pair and raise the fry you need a tank that is 6 feet long, at least 125 gallons.

I wasn't trying to change your mind! Sorry if it seemed like that. I was just warning you about the effort you would have to put into them. Too many people get themselves into fish keeping and don't realize the effort and sacrifice that they have to put in and end up with abused and neglected fish. I hope that you enjoy your oscars but realize that they are tough fish to keep and you have to keep up your end up the partnership.

Also, how do you tell which sex oscars are? Is there a visible difference? I have never been able to tell. :blink:

thecichlidaddict said:
Hey st. Cichlid

Nor should you want to change your mind. If you like them, keep them. Oscars are very endearring fish, friendly giants.

As long as you are willing to provide the proper conditions. If you want to breed a pair and raise the fry you need a tank that is 6 feet long, at least 125 gallons.
im not raising the fry may just keep them to 1 inchin a 5 gallon 2 gallon 30 gallon and ill get a 30 ill manage well ill get a 20 or 30 gallon if fishie hell can keep them in a 5 gallon for a week i'll keep um in a 30 that should give me enough time to sell them

Most reactions

trending

Back