My African dwarf frogs leg is injured from filter accident

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

fredandgeorge

Reaction score
I recently bought 2 african dwarf frogs and I am new to caring for them. Everything has been going great with them but today when i came home from work the smaller frog of the two had his leg stuck in the filter. I managed to get his leg unstuck and he is still alive but his leg is badly injured. It is all red and he canā€™t move it. He wonā€™t move anymore unless he is touched by something or if he is trying to hide. I have read that people have their ADF in a quarantine tank so other animals donā€™t pick on it but I donā€™t feel like that will happen since it is just my two ADFā€™s that live in a 10g tank. I want to give him the best chance of surviving this and Iā€™m not sure how to do that. Iā€™m looking for any tips to help him and what I should do to make him comfortable and to make a full recovery.

About the only thing you can do for them is keep the tank and filter clean and hope it recovers. Most fish medications kill frogs.

You can buy round/ cylindrical sponges for some brands of internal power filter. These sponge usually fit nicely over the intake strainer of most external power filters and stop things like this happening.

--------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

--------------------
The only medication that might be safe is Triple Sulpha (Tri Sulfa). However, I have never used it on frogs. It is safe for scaleless fish so should be ok for frogs. But try water changes first and see how it looks tomorrow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back