My 55G Bow Front - Seeking Feedback

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I like it, especially the way you rearranged the plants and I like the open area at the front.  The focal point is concentrated in the centre of the tank now rather than the sides. 
The anubias looks great on the rock - if a little lonely, I would smother that rock in anubias :)

Hehe, the more anubias the better IMO :)

It looks great!!! You should start a planted journal!! It's such a great way to keep track of things, and see your progress. I would just post the link to the journal here, then you can post the link to this thread in the journal...

I love it! The mix between plants and driftwood/rocks is perfect. I know it's a little too late to change the substrate but I still reckon sand is a better choice, more so since you have cories. Not sure about emerald cories, but I assume they like to be kept in groups of 5 or more so that's another thing to think about.

Good choices on the stocking otherwise though 
yes.gif

daizeUK said:
I like it, especially the way you rearranged the plants and I like the open area at the front.  The focal point is concentrated in the centre of the tank now rather than the sides. 
The anubias looks great on the rock - if a little lonely, I would smother that rock in anubias
smile.png

greenmumma141 said:
Hehe, the more anubias the better IMO
smile.png

It looks great!!! You should start a planted journal!! It's such a great way to keep track of things, and see your progress. I would just post the link to the journal here, then you can post the link to this thread in the journal...

Thanks daize and Greenmumma!  Your feedback helped open my eyes so I really appreciate it!! :)  Anubias is quickly becoming a favorite for me so I'm definitely going to be adding more.  I was thinking of adding some to that piece of driftwood in the upper right side of the tank (a little hard to see in the pic..its wedged between the rock and glass).  Then I was thinking of putting some christmas moss carpet along the middle of the rock.  Any thoughts/experience with moss?

Greenmumma - I was actually thinking the other day I wish I had started a journal documenting everything from the begiinning and then I realized that this thread is kind of a journal.  Maybe I will start one in the planted section as you suggested :)

508 said:
I love it! The mix between plants and driftwood/rocks is perfect. I know it's a little too late to change the substrate but I still reckon sand is a better choice, more so since you have cories. Not sure about emerald cories, but I assume they like to be kept in groups of 5 or more so that's another thing to think about.

Good choices on the stocking otherwise though 
yes.gif
Thanks for the compliment!! :)  Unfortunately the cories were a spur of the moment purchase so I didn't do my research...just followed the advice of the salesperson at the LFS (I know..newbie mistake!).  That said, I did read that while sand is the best substrate for them gravel is ok as long as its smooth, which my gravel is and they seem to be fine digging and finding food!  :)  So hopefully they are happy!  They are better off in groups of five but unfortunately I just don't have the space for three more.  I would have taken them back to the store but my 2 1/2 year old absolutely loves them.  They seem to be doing well...besides swimming with each other I tend to find them "schooling" with my Tiger and Rosy Barbs which is hilarious!!  Thanks again! 

Happy Holidays to all!

The only moss I haveused before is java but I wouldn't recommend it for a carpet, as mine always gets leggy... i love the look of Christmas moss tho and I've also heard great things about Taiwan moss too!!

My first ever plant order was for 10 anubias plants and I've been thinking about placing another as my tank just needs more hehe

Then I was thinking of putting some christmas moss carpet along the middle of the rock.  Any thoughts/experience with moss?
I use Taiwan moss in my tanks although Christmas moss and Spiky moss are both good too. Just be aware that moss needs quite a bit of maintenance to give a neat carpet effect. Moss doesn't behave, it will spread to cover every inch of available surface and also grow outwards into a big untidy mess if you let it. I still have an unruly mass of moss in my 64L which I hack back once every few weeks but my 120L has a more controlled arrangement which I keep close-trimmed. An airtube siphon attached to a pair of scissors works great for sucking offcuts out of the tank as you trim.

Personally I prefer to see moss on wood and anubias on rocks. Your rock will disappear if you go for moss but it depends what look you want.

greenmumma141 said:
The only moss I haveused before is java but I wouldn't recommend it for a carpet, as mine always gets leggy... i love the look of Christmas moss tho and I've also heard great things about Taiwan moss too!!
My first ever plant order was for 10 anubias plants and I've been thinking about placing another as my tank just needs more hehe

daizeUK said:
Moss doesn't behave, it will spread to cover every inch of available surface and also grow outwards into a big untidy mess if you let it
Thank you both. I am rethinking the whole moss idea as the more I read up on it the more I'm thinking it could be more work than its worth. Definitely going to be adding more Anubias though! :)

On a sad note, I lost one of my Bentos Tetra last week. My first fish loss :( No signs of illness and my water parameters were fine so not sure what caused it. Good thing is all of the other fish seem fine.

Thx Stimo. Much appreciated! Check out my journal (link above) as I will posting updates there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back