My 5 Year Old Hamster!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MBOU

Recovering LFS Worker
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hahah I thought I would share this photo with you all because its not often you see 5 year old Syrian Hamsters! :) His name is technically Smokey Joe or SmoJo... but he mostly goes by the name of Mr Crispy these days!!

Yes he looks old and disgusting and wrinkly and his furs falling out and he has liver spots and he is arthritic and a bit wobbly sometimes (he only asks to come out a few times a week as it must hurt his joints to be handled too much).

But I love this hamster to bits, I really do! I have had him since he was a babby and watched one of his babies grow up and get old and die before him lol.

PoorMrCrispy.jpg

Very nice bud. I had a hamster once, on the way home from the pet store it ait throughbthe box and escaped in the car. Took ages to find it.

i have a 6 year old hampster called jakey he looks like yours but he is white i love the littel fella :wub: :nod:

If I am right by dates, he is actually just over 5 and a half, but i cant find any photos from that far back, i'm pretty sure it was about the time i broke my camera. And he wasnt young when I got him from P@H as a 'rescue' as he was a biter (not bit me once in his life!). He wasnt an adult but assuming the age of 5.5 i am assuming he was about 6 weeks old but i think he was closer to 3-4 months old.

It's so hard to keep track :crazy:

I've only had one other hamster live to this age and she was called Echo but by this age she was riddled with cancer and kept peeing down herself, she died naturally but it was a close call to calling it a day.

I love my SmoJo but I hope to anything he goes peacefully in his sleep... I dread finding him though :(

Here he is when he was young! When I first got him (he looks younger than he was, he was about 3-4 months old).

Baby5.jpg

Oh goodness! What a mistake, that was actually his son!! Not Mr Crispy!!

This was Mr Crispy LOL

011.jpg

Awww, he's adorable. :wub: 5 years old!! That's pretty good for a hamster. Usually, hammies only live 2.5 years. He must be a healthy Mr. Crispy. Hope he lives another year! :)

So...

Smokey Joe aka Mr Crispy
Baby2.jpg

was bred to...

Long Haired Silver Grey female called Woggle
Baby3.jpg

And here are their babies:

Black (long haired)
Baby6.jpg

Black (short haired)
Baby11.jpg

Silver Grey (long haired)
Baby4.jpg

Silver Grey (short haired)
Baby9.jpg

Chocolate (long haired)
Baby7.jpg

Group of the Silver Greys
Baby12.jpg

on the bottom pic the one in the middel looks just like mine when he was a baby :wub:

I used to have hamsters for years and none of them lived longer than about 3 years. It was like clockwork.
I never even knew they can live to that age :hyper:

Am having SmoJo put to sleep in an hour and a half :( hewas fine with no fur but now he has obviously got an internal tumour :(

He has had porridge with chocolate chips in this morning for breakfast!

:-(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back