My 350l(ish) marine tank build

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

smurfyy_2k3

it's a shame stupidity isn't painfull
Reaction score
Hello new salt water friends..

Some of the forum may know that I've kept fish now since I was 16, and salt water has always terrified the life out of me.

I kept threatening to get a marine tank and honestly have had it in my head now for a little over a year.

T'other day I was perusing Facebook market place and came across 3 ro/Di filters, with a pump for 60 whole pounds. And well. I bought them.

Following that I went and began researching and decided that a fluval Evo 52l was the way forward. However. Life had other plans....

20211004_213633.jpg

This is my new [to me] not fluval Evo 52l tank.

It comes complete with sump. Bubble Magus 5 protein skimmer, 300w heater, some plumbing and external heater/cooler controler and an eco-lamps light.

It obviously needs a solid cleaning and it definitely needs replumbing but at £350 I feel it's been a steal.
I've taken measurements and you'll find them below. I'm hoping to track the build of this tank going forward and also to get some solid advice because. While I've researched everything. I only have any experience in freshwater

Screenshot_20211007-125735_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211007-125607_Gallery.jpg

My first task is to clean and replumb the thing which I'm hoping to get started on next week... After I rearrange my house to fit this thing in!

Nice! That's a pretty good bit of kit for that price.

Whats your plans with it? Fish only, Fish only with Liverock or a full reef?

Its been awhile since I had a marine tank but can hopefully help along the way a bit if you need it.

What are the actual dimensions on that tank? Looks really tall.

Edit: no matter what setup you are going for pay a bit extra for a temperature controller unit to control your heaters and any cooling you have attached. I lost a lot of stock to a faulty heater so consider it an essential bit of kit for a marine tank now. Not sure what is available now, I used to use a TC10 controller but sure there is newer/better kit available now.

Nice! That's a pretty good bit of kit for that price.

Whats your plans with it? Fish only, Fish only with Liverock or a full reef?

Its been awhile since I had a marine tank but can hopefully help along the way a bit if you need it.

What are the actual dimensions on that tank? Looks really tall.

Edit: no matter what setup you are going for pay a bit extra for a temperature controller unit to control your heaters and any cooling you have attached. I lost a lot of stock to a faulty heater so consider it an essential bit of kit for a marine tank now. Not sure
I'll get the actual measurements when I get home :)

I'm hoping for full reef and the setup came with a temperature controller :)

Awesome. Will be a nice tank to 'scape with that kind of space in each dimension to work with. You really did get a bargain here!

Great tank & Sump - kept S/W in the long distant past - 4x2x2 led lighting - had a bit of love for LPS.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

ATB

Nice looking setup! Is the sump fully plumed and does all the equipment work? (Skimmer, return pump, heater, etc.)

If you have any questions just ask!

Tank is all drilled and has connections (x3) the guy that's had it before me has kept it all super basic though so I'm off to the shop today to buy a. Bunch of pipe and fittings.

Everything works though long term I'll be replacing the return pump and probably adding another

Edit: editing in the RO/DI system I paid £60 whole pounds for which forced me into marine haha
20211008_085235.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a good system for $60. Have you ever plumbed a sump before?

I found today when starting to put pipes into the bulkheads that I'm missing 1 32mm gasket. So after a day driving round fish shops, plumbing merchants, Screwfix, tool station and anywhere else that I've given up and I'm ordering online.

My next move is to fill the tank with water to make sure the tank is water tight and to help clean everything in there the tank appears to have been sat for a while and hopefully. Putting some standing water in there will help remove the salt deposits on the back

I did however manage to plumb in a washing machine adapter into my bathroom ready for the RO unit. I'll edit some pictures of that in soon.

Check TDS of output of RO water before you fill and add salt.

HTH

I'm just filling it with tap water to start buddy, for cleaning and testing. TDs and refractometer are on order :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back