My 34G

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
Here's a updated photo of my planted 34G. I've posted this in the Members Aquarium Pictures too.

As an experiment I've submerged my Riccia fluitans which was floating, it's growing well but I'm not decided on it's final location. I'm planning on removing my Cardamine lyrata (the plant behind the Hygrophila polysperma - left midground) as it's not doing so well in my warmer water (it prefers cooler temps) and replacing it with Alternanthera rosaefolia, it'll fill the dark area left of the Limnophila sessiflora (Ambulia). I think the added red would balance the overall look furthur. I'm considering adding some Sagittaria natans to fill the gaps in the foreground, it tolerates some shade and so I think it will look good in front and under the Anubias (under the Lily). Hopefully these changes/additions will improve the overall effect, my eventual aim to enter this year's AGA aquascaping contest with some confidence. I've even written to Peter Bradley (plant expert who writes for Practical Fishkeeping magazine) for some furthur tips.

Any comments welcomed, especially constructive critisisms.

Attachments

• 27feb05001.JPG
    27feb05001.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 164
That looks awesome gf225.
You still have that blank dark space in the upper left corner, but I think the alternanthera will take that place well... I would try to get a lighter red version of it, maybe pink. That might be hard to find tho.
I love the way the foreground looks now, it looks smooth, like the transition isn't so sharp. The riccia will probably love it.
I didn't even notice the cardamine! I would take it out then, if it isn't doing that good, it will probably get even more straggly, and detract from the overall appearance.
I'm not sure what, but I would do something with that left lower corner. What are you doing with the saggitaria?
Good job so far, it looks amazing! :D
Robin

Did I ever mention your tanks are an inspiration to me? Well, they are. :wub:

I do think the Alternanthera rosaefolia (which is generally pinkier than the reineckii) would look great on the left instead of the cardamine lyrata. It would definitely balance out the colouring.

I'm wondering whether you can find a way to put the hygro as background on the left side and have the Alternanthera as midground. It would really bring out the colouring of the Alternanthera and add a bit more punch. It will bring out the reds in the Lotus as well. Then, adding the saggitaria in the foreground will look quite striking as well.

It's looking great so far. :thumbs:
I'm sure you'll be a wonderful addition to the AGA competition. :)

~Nisha

Just curious, how much light have you got on that? I would love to go that heavily planted, but I only have 1.75wpg

Thanks for the comments/tips. I'm off to my LFS later, hopefully they'll have some decent stock in. I've just updated my sig, you can see it needs a trim already, I only did it 5 days ago!!

canoechig - I have 3 WPG in the form of 5 various high-spec tubes all with reflectors, colour temps - 3000K, 6700K and 7500K.

You should still be able to plant heavily with 1.75 wpg, CO2 would help but is not essential. Vallis species, Hygophila sp, Echinodorus sp, Ludwigia sp and many more should be fine especially if you have a suitable substrate. PM me if you want more detailed advice on going heavily planted.

I think you should put more of that floating red stuff in that big open area or allow more Hygrophilia to grow in there.

I'll definitely vouche for the sag-- natans is a great plant. Maybe you could make a mixed bush by planting some right up against the glass mixed with the anubias; or you could plant them amongst your hair grass. I think the riccia stones look kind of strange, 1, 2, 3, evenly spaced, similar sized, and all right up against the glass. For final placement, I'd move 1 or two back, keep one farther forward, or at last mix them up. I'd definitely recomend considering moving one or two inside the hair grass field, or at the edge of it, and move some plantlets to make room.

Too bad about the cardamine-- it looked good mixed with the hygrophila . . . well, I'm sure the alternanthera will look nice too. That rotala needs a trim . . . :p I've recently tried some pomagetan gayi, and I got to say it's an awesome plant. If you can get a few stems, mix them in with the alternanthera-- gayi is such a thin, fine plant it really cannot stand alone. It's light green with faint orange at the top will compliment a red plant nicely. :)

wicked tank mate, and i have to admit i'm jealous.

one quick question if i may. i now have the same light as you and co2 but still a plain gravel substrate.

is there any way i can improve the substrate without emptying the tank. too many fish to store elsewhere.

sorry i cant give you any tips, as you know i'm no way near your level of skill and "perfect tank" doesn't help you i'm afraid but thats all i can say.. :cool:

tear-scar said:
I'll definitely vouche for the sag-- natans is a great plant. Maybe you could make a mixed bush by planting some right up against the glass mixed with the anubias; or you could plant them amongst your hair grass. I think the riccia stones look kind of strange, 1, 2, 3, evenly spaced, similar sized, and all right up against the glass. For final placement, I'd move 1 or two back, keep one farther forward, or at last mix them up. I'd definitely recomend considering moving one or two inside the hair grass field, or at the edge of it, and move some plantlets to make room.

Too bad about the cardamine-- it looked good mixed with the hygrophila . . . well, I'm sure the alternanthera will look nice too. That rotala needs a trim . . . :p I've recently tried some pomagetan gayi, and I got to say it's an awesome plant. If you can get a few stems, mix them in with the alternanthera-- gayi is such a thin, fine plant it really cannot stand alone. It's light green with faint orange at the top will compliment a red plant nicely. :)
Thanks mate, I'll definitely give the Sag a go. I know what you mean about the Riccia, they're not actually on stones, just the bare plant weighed down with lead spiked through, I put them there to get the most light and to get established. I'll move them like you suggest when I get the Sag.

I've taken a few bold moves already. I've binned the Hygrophila polyperma and Cardamine lyrata and I've thinned out the Rotala indica by about 80%. I've bought a few stems of Limnophila aromatica which is replacing the polysperma and my thinned Rotala has moved replacing the Cardamine. In place of my Rotala I have new Hydrocotyle leucocephala. When my Rotala has become thick and bushy again I may swap with the Hydrocotyle. The new Sag natans I plan to buy will fill any foregound gaps and break up the hairgrass and Riccia. Oh, and I've bought some more Java fern (large leaf ) to fill the mid-ground furthur. Anyway, it sounds complicated so I'll post a pic soon when my new ideas become established (it looks a bit crap at the moment!!)

jimbooo said:
wicked tank mate, and i have to admit i'm jealous.

one quick question if i may. i now have the same light as you and co2 but still a plain gravel substrate.

is there any way i can improve the substrate without emptying the tank. too many fish to store elsewhere.

sorry i cant give you any tips, as you know i'm no way near your level of skill and "perfect tank" doesn't help you i'm afraid but thats all i can say.. :cool:
I have added more laterite to my substrate about a year ago with good results. This is how.

1. Cut the bottom out from a plastic yoghurt pot so you have a thin hollow plastic cylinder approx 3-4 inch diameter.

2. Insert the pot into the substrate where you want the laterite or additive to go and push the pot down to the tank base. Ensure the pot protrudes from the gravel.

3. Syphon or scoop out existing gravel.

4. Insert the laterite and gravel mix back into the pot and remove the pot. Ensure the laterite is topped up with plain gravel.

I would recommend API First-Layer Pure Laterite. I have 2 large packs (approx 2 kg) in my fine gravel (approx 25 kg). It provides nutrients for years.

thanks mate printed out and going home via the LFS.

the misses will have the hump with you for giving me more reasons to fiddle with the tank. Hey ho never mind.

Thanks

jimbooo said:
the misses will have the hump with you for giving me more reasons to fiddle with the tank. Hey ho never mind.
I know exactly what you mean :lol: My missus can't bear the attention I give my tank, only because she'd prefer the attention herself!! Sacrifices must be made for a beautiful tank. Besides, she's the first to show it off to her friends when they pop round for coffee and biscuits (like only women do!!)

Men need their caves (Men are from Mars, Women from Venus).

Here's an update. It should look a lot better when my new Limnophila aromitica and (moved) Rotala indica fill out the on left. I've moved my Riccia but intend on filling out most of the foreground with more hairgrass and Sagittaria natans. Note some Anubias has moved to the right foreground too.

Attachments

• mar08052.JPG
    mar08052.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 161
Tank looks awsome if I can get mine to go like yours Ill be more than happy. Have a look at my first attempt in members tank section. Are you using any plant fertilizers/feeding at waterchange time and if so which brand, also how often do you do a waterchange and how much.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back