My 29g Re-do~~lots Of Pics

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I agree with others, let things grow for a month, don't touch them. I think it looks 'messy' because many of the stem plants are still low in the water, once they grow higher it will help.

I think it looks great, significantly better than the garish fake marine look!

The plant at the front is, I think, hydrocotyle (spelling?)?

I have 2 lights that sit on top. One is 20w fluorescent. (I don't know what kind) :blush: The other is an incandescent fixture that I put the screw in fluorescent lights in. There are 2 18w full spectrum lights in it. If I am doing it right, that gives me 56w over a 29g tank... 1.93wpg. Is that right?

Along with the substrate and plant tabs, I do use seachems fluorish, excel, and trace. I am still trying to get dosing right though. I can't seem to work out how much and how often to cut down the algae. I am checking into co2. I am trying to learn what all the parts are and what I would need to get for it to work. I need it to be simple and I have to be able to hide it from sight. I have a child that loves to meddle with stuff...
Do those cheap kits(ladder things) come with everything you need, or would I need to get other stuff too? If so what would I need?
I have been looking at a timer for my lights too. I keep frogetting to turn them off in the middle of the day. Sometimes they end up running for 10 to 12 hours streight. I know... bad... I am trying to do better though.
What do I need to be testing regularly in my water? (besides the regular stuff) I have no idea if the plants are getting enough or too much of anything. Basically I have no idea what I am doing, and it shows! lol
All help and info is greatly appreciated!

A few more questions...

1. Is clover that they sell for the tank the same as the one that grows in the yard?

2. If plants take in co2 and put out oxygen to grow... how can they live and not pearl?

3. If we don't see bubbles does that mean they are not putting out any oxygen at all?

4. Can they pearl with out high light?

5. If they don't pearl, does that mean they aren't healthy or happy? (I have some that are growing like crazy, but there have been no bubbles.)

6. What makes them pearl?

7. Is the limbs from holly shrubs safe for the aquarium? (the kind that puts out those red berries)

#7 is a big one. I found some cuttings that fell behind when we cut it back about a year ago that are really branchy and nice. They would look so good. I want to make sure they would be safe though. If they are ok... do I just clean them, boil, and soak just like drift wood? Or is the something else I should do?

Thanks Again! :good:

1. Is clover that they sell for the tank the same as the one that grows in the yard?

Probably, I recall that it grows submerged or emerged, and some differ slightly in the look they take on when submerged.

2. If plants take in co2 and put out oxygen to grow... how can they live and not pearl?

Because pearling is when a plant gets loads of light, they will give off oxygen when they are not pearling but this will be such a small amount that bubbles never form.

3. If we don't see bubbles does that mean they are not putting out any oxygen at all?

Nope, just not as much.

4. Can they pearl with out high light?

I doubt it.

5. If they don't pearl, does that mean they aren't healthy or happy? (I have some that are growing like crazy, but there have been no bubbles.)

Nope, but in high light tanks it is a good sign. If your plants are growing fast and look healthy then they most likely are! Many plants have different light level requirements.

6. What makes them pearl?

Photosynthesis.

7. Is the limbs from holly shrubs safe for the aquarium? (the kind that puts out those red berries)

I have no idea, I'd be tempted to say no, but there is only one way to find out if no-one else has ever tried it!

it looks loads betetr now that at first so well done to you.

one thing i'll share with you that i've learnt is that less is more.

with my little planted tank i started out with loads of different plants and it looekd a bit like yours, messy.

now i've just got 2 different plants in there, but lots of them and it looks a zillion times better.

less is more :D

Thank you so much!
I am doing some real intensive learning again. The biggest thing is figuring out what it is that I like the most.
I am most drawn to clean landscaped ones I think. I love the ones with a path or something in it. I saw one that had a fake waterfall in it. It was amazing. It looked so real and so cool.
I want something that almost draws you into it. Something that is peaceful where time just sort of stops. I know that is a lot to ask for, but I know it is possible. It doesn't have to be fancy, just peaceful. I have found many different styles that could work for me as far as the look goes. I just have to learn how to do it.
I will post more later... I just found out my son got stabbed...

I talked to his commanding officer... He is fine.

Now... Does anyone out there know if wood from holly shrubs are safe to go in a fish tank?

To start with it "appears" you are still using the stock light. This isn't going to cut it for a nice planted tank. Stock lights average about .5W per gallon and you need around 2W to 4W per gallon.

Visit www.ahsupply.com if you want to retrofit your current hood or bigalsonline.com has some good deals on Coralife Compact Flourescent fictures that would do well. 1 24" 65W or a 2x65W would do what you need.

Now, you want to let it grow out for a bit. You need to get your plants rooting, etc.. so when you go to redesign it will be easier to keep them in place.

That is why I stopped just under 2wpg. That way I still have a choice.

Does anyone know about the holly branches?

Most reactions

trending

Back