April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tear-scar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Here's the paludarium, ain't it sexy?

terrarium3.jpg

The outflow of the filter hits the wood, and the trickles over all the plants above water, keeping them moist and healthy. All the plants are from africa.

I'm holding off for a while before adding fish, but the inhabitants will also definitely be african. Probably killifish . . .

1Liter3.jpg

This is a 1 liter petre dish, with moss and rocks. Don't know if this thing could every have any animals in it . . . maybe a couple shrimp . . .

Well, hope you guys enjoy!

Ok, I am soooo jealous now!!!
Your tanks have always made me want to start planted tanks ... but these! They're gorgeous!!! You really should concider selling them *nods* ... I want that paludarium!!! We cant even get the bloody filters needed for something like that, imagine how difficult the plants will be to find :p ... absolutely lovely, both of them :)

I've been thinking of turning my 5 or 10 gallon into a paludarium.

Do you think you could give me some ideas? I'm not really sure where to start.

I think Shrimps would quickly climb out of that 1litre dish unless you make some kind of perforated lid for it.

The 1st one is gorgeous, cant wait to see it with a couple of tiny killifish in there. What size tank is it?

Ben

NIce........i wish i could have one of those small ones. Where did you get the plants?

Thanks all!!

Lovebuzz-- when it comes to paludariums/vivariums, I'm really a novice myself!! The serious keepers use methods for moistening plants, cooling the air, humidifying the air, that I'm really ignorant of! Also, they better understand growing bod and terrestrial plants a lot better than I do! I just got a whole bunch of aquatic plants that are reputed to do well in bog conditions and used some innovation to make up for my ignorance. Any HOB filter will have an outflow with which you can do a similar thing with-- I recommend penguin if you cannot get a filter from azoo or blue whale (which look sexier, lol).

Bunjiweb-- I can see what you mean about the shrimp. They get stressed without things to crawl on, and there might not be enough vertical element to keep them happy inside the tank. The tank is about 5g, and I am planning on only 1 pair of killies.

miagi-- I'm fortunate enough to have LPS that excel in the planted tank hobby. I recently got free samples of plants as rare as HC and tonina belem from them. They know I'll sell it back when it grows out. In any case, most of the plants in this tank are easily obtainable.

List:
Anubias barteri var. nana (AKA "anubias nana")
Bacopa moineri
Water Sprite
Bolbitis huedoloti (this one is actually more on the uncommon/difficult to grow side . . .)

Anubias, bacopa and water sprite are all pretty common easy to come by plants-- I can buy bacopa and water sprite a buck for a bunch, and they're almost always available. Anubias nana is common, though a bit pricy since it is such a slow grower.

Spot on! Just beware of the dreaded algae! Nice tanks by the way. Really impressed with the petri dish tank! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back