My 2 new 20 gal shrimp tanks

Bigdonniebracso

Reaction score
I just finished building my 2, 20 gallon tanks they have Matten filters in each corner powered by air, I'm trying to determine whether or not there is an optimal flow rate through the Matten filter because I'm still on the fence between using air or using power heads. Obviously the PPI and the thickness is a consideration. I'm running 2" 30 ppi. And SHOULD be pumping 60gp per corner, if the pump rating is correct. I'm just going to be keeping a handful of cherry shrimp in each. I assume this filtration will be sufficient once cycled?
Thanks!
Don
IMG_20210707_222200.jpg

Last edited:
@Bigdonniebracso - Iā€™m confused by the size of the tanks. The thread title says ā€œ2 new 20 gallonā€ā€¦ the body of the text says, ā€œ2, 1 gallonā€ā€¦probably a typo but probably quite important when talking about filter flow..? (which I know nothing about šŸ˜ž).

I do know that shrimps need ā€˜established tanksā€™ but again, Iā€™m not certain what the criteria is for thatā€¦

@Bigdonniebracso - Iā€™m confused by the size of the tanks. The thread title says ā€œ2 new 20 gallonā€ā€¦ the body of the text says, ā€œ2, 1 gallonā€ā€¦probably a typo but probably quite important when talking about filter flow..? (which I know nothing about šŸ˜ž).

I do know that shrimps need ā€˜established tanksā€™ but again, Iā€™m not certain what the criteria is for thatā€¦
It was late and I didn't proof read very well. I do indeed have 2 new 20 gal longs. I'm just trying to decide if the flow rate is adequate.

Thank you

GPH stands for ā€œgallons per hour.ā€ It's the measure of how much water the motor in a filteris able to pump in an hour. It's generally recommended that your filter has a GPH equal to four times the volume of your tank. So, for a 20 gallon (76 liter) tank, you would want a filter with a GPH of at least 80.

Is what modestfish.com says, but I dont know enough to know is this is a good source/accurate info.

If it is you are well over that with the combined total of 120 gph.

Thank you for your reply, I "HOPE" I am getting the 120 gph that my math tells me I should be getting. The bio-load in these tanks will be very low, so I should be fine. I was considering going with individual powerheads to eliminate the noise of the air pump, but then I would be blowing like 500 GPH and the current in the tanks would be crazy for cherry shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back