My 180ltr Planted Shrimp 'only' Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Big tank for shrimp! Looks very nice!

I'd be too temped to put in shrimp-safe fish like whiptail catfish, ottos and such...

Big tank for shrimp! Looks very nice!

I'd be too temped to put in shrimp-safe fish like whiptail catfish, ottos and such...

Cheers m8, nah im happy with just the shrimp, otto's was a posibilty but i think when shrimp number start to rise and been such a big tank it should cope with very high numbers it will be active enough and a pleasure to watch ;)

Can't wait to see pics once it's grown in a bit. I wish I had the room to do things like this :(

Have you decided on a full final list of shrimp you're going to have?

Can't wait to see pics once it's grown in a bit. I wish I had the room to do things like this :(

Have you decided on a full final list of shrimp you're going to have?

The other half would probably say we havent got the room either lol, but hey what the hell :)

TBH, i would have loved blue tiger shrimp and green shrimp would have been a nice constrast but i think there both cardinia (sp) species so to avoid cross breeding i think they will have to be missed in this tank and set up another for them lol.

Any suggestion as what else could go in but will NOT hydridise?... doesnt have to be cheap but has to be realitively easy to get hold of.

You can have green shrimp (C babaulti) with them, they wont cross, bumblebee shrimp are another possibility, some have reported that they cross, but if you have caridina cf Breviata they don't cross, I have kept them with crystal reds for three years without any hybrids. You could also keep the orange shrimp C.propinqua, Rednose shrimp or ninja though none of these can breed in freshwater. Some filter shrimp would go well too.

You can have green shrimp (C babaulti) with them, they wont cross, bumblebee shrimp are another possibility, some have reported that they cross, but if you have caridina cf Breviata they don't cross, I have kept them with crystal reds for three years without any hybrids. You could also keep the orange shrimp C.propinqua, Rednose shrimp or ninja though none of these can breed in freshwater. Some filter shrimp would go well too.

Cheers Liam, that will give me a few to take a look at :good:

jen

Cheers m8 i actually really do like them :good: ... but am i missing anythink?... i thought all Caridina species could cross-breed with each other?
Nope, these guys dont cross. The different colour variants of the same species will cross though (like the various tigers, CRS, CBS, bee shrimp).

But these guys have been reported not to cross, and are a whole different species which morphologically looks quite different too :good:..

this is actually awesome! :good:

Cheers m8 :)

Nope, these guys dont cross. The different colour variants of the same species will cross though (like the various tigers, CRS, CBS, bee shrimp).

But these guys have been reported not to cross, and are a whole different species which morphologically looks quite different too :good:

Oh right superb then, think you may have picked me my next shrimp species :good: thankyou :)

Any more you would suggest while im here.

Was thinking sulawasi shrimp... how compatible would these be?... i know there very tempremental with water quality but could i have them with the shrimp ive already got?

I'll pass on the shrimp keeping specifics and let other experts answer. I'm more of a shrimp killer than keeper :lol: Just want to say that I'm really looking forward to your shrimp cocktail pics :good: . Love shrimpies but can't keep them myself :blush:

I'll pass on the shrimp keeping specifics and let other experts answer. I'm more of a shrimp killer than keeper :lol: Just want to say that I'm really looking forward to your shrimp cocktail pics :good: . Love shrimpies but can't keep them myself :blush:

Cheers m8, im quite looking forward to the numbers growing and seeing all that colour in there myself :)... trying to get a nice colour mix so it will be a pleasure to watch :)

Sulawasi shrimp are worth a try if you can get the at decent prices :good:. They apparently like the temperature higher and like hardish alkaline water. So if you can keep the temp around 27*C and your water isnt soft and acidic, go for it! Would be interesting to see them kept with so many other species.

As Liam suggested too, red nose shrimp are great fun to watch (they swim through the water using thier back legs very gracefully), and if you got a few of them that would hopefully give you some movement in the upper areas.

This guy ( http://shrimpking.co.uk/buy.htm ) is selling them very cheap (I paid £3.50 at the LFS) and I've used him before a couple of times - really excellent service.

Other than that...Thai micro crabs would be an excellent non-shrimp addition if you can find them, but they will probably get lost in that size of tank!

You could get some Atyaephyra desmaresti (a European species) but they prefer lower temperatures so wouldn't be ideal if you wanted the Sulawasi's too.

I would avoid macros since they will eat your baby shrimp, but later on the smaller species could be an interesting addition without making a huge impact on shrimp population.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back