My 15 year old red parrot fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
hes on his last legs. keep him comfortable and when he stops eating, euthanise him

No need to do that at all. Do as @Deanasue said.
Thank you, PheonixKingZ. I do appreciate your confidence. As stated above, geriatric fish do continue to have issues. It is completely your decision, not mine or @Colin_T decision as to when to give up. My goldfish is improving today but not to say you will have the same outcome. We need to respect the opinions of each members advice and choices and not just give out our own advice at the same time discrediting other members advice or having disregard for the feelings of the person who owns the fish. A little compassion goes a long way. I still wish the OP the best in whichever decision you feel is right for you.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice. I did try Epsom salts directly in the aquarium 2 spoons in 120 litres tank , and then a change of the water. Perhaps the dose was too small in so much water He's big so I couldn't think of way to get him out of the aquarium and into a bowl to give a higher dose of salts without stressing him out. I have already tried a 7 day fungal treatment with water changes. I was just wondering about antibiotics as I read that an infection of the swim bladder could cause the problem. Unfortunately the 2 vets I normally use have no idea about treating fish. What do you think?
The Kanaplex and Furan-2 are antibiotics. I’m sorry, I should have explained that. :)

The fish is breathing heavily and has a red vent, which doesn't look normal. If it can't eat properly and can't remain upright it will be stressed out and prolonging its agony is not fair on the fish.

It's not my decision but when an animal or fish is old and can't eat or move properly, then it's time to let it move on.

The fish is breathing heavily and has a red vent, which doesn't look normal. If it can't eat properly and can't remain upright it will be stressed out and prolonging its agony is not fair on the fish.

It's not my decision but when an animal or fish is old and can't eat or move properly, then it's time to let it move on.
I agree if that is the case, but my fish does eat from my hand and by himself, and has a good appetite. He stays upright until he gets a bit too excited and then rolls over to one side. As said, most times he gets himself up. Old people sometimes need help and some I suppose would hope to quicken the end ... I don't think that my fish is suffering yet and I feel he appreciates the massages I give him and the time I spend with him. He's been with me for over 15 years and I just don't feel like knocking him on the head ... if that's what you have to do to euthanise fish, but thank you for your comments.

The Kanaplex and Furan-2 are antibiotics. I’m sorry, I should have explained that. :)
Thank you Deanasue you have been very kind and helpfull. I will try these antibiotics and see how he gets on with them.

At least if we don’t succeed, we know we have done all we could. Prayer helps too! If it should come later to euthanasia, I can walk you through the clove oil method that is much more humane , IMO.

This is my last post on this subject.

Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics causes drug resistant bacteria that kill people, animals, birds, fish and reptiles.

Throwing anti-biotics at a sick fish that does not appear to have a bacterial infection is simply bad for the environment. People in America might not care about mis-using anti-biotics but the rest of the world does.

Deanasue continually recommends anti-biotics for all sorts of things affecting fish (many are not bacterial) and that is just adding to the problem of drug resistant bacteria killing people all around the world. The stuff in the aquarium ends up in the environment where it can affect everything else.

In my opinion, throwing anti-biotics at this issue is just bad for the environment and poor information coming from Deanasue who doesn't seem to care about the long term implications caused by excessive and wrongful use of anti-biotics.

--------------
Internal organs can develop bacterial infections, but
swim bladders are rarely affected by bacterial infections, and most of the information people post online about swim bladder problems is bogus.

The fish does have something wrong with the swim bladder because it sinks as soon as it stops swimming, but I highly doubt this is bacterial. The fish also appears to have a neurological problem that causes it to fall on its side. This could be caused by bacteria, virus, protozoa or a stroke. Viruses and protozoan infections regularly cause neurological problems in fish and neither are treated with anti-biotics.

Good luck with your fish. I don't think it's going to end well but it's your fish.

hes on his last legs. keep him comfortable and when he stops eating, euthanise him
Have to agree. In the UK we can't get antibiotics without a prescription and I assume its the same in France (they are also really unlikely to help :(). At 15 he has had a good life and most do not live that long in an aquarium - so kudos to you for taking such good care of him.

Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics causes drug resistant bacteria that kill people, animals, birds, fish and reptiles.

Throwing anti-biotics at a sick fish that does not appear to have a bacterial infection is simply bad for the environment. People in America might not care about mis-using anti-biotics but the rest of the world does.

Deanasue continually recommends anti-biotics for all sorts of things affecting fish (many are not bacterial) and that is just adding to the problem of drug resistant bacteria killing people all around the world. The stuff in the aquarium ends up in the environment where it can affect everything else.

In my opinion, throwing anti-biotics at this issue is just bad for the environment and poor information coming from Deanasue who doesn't seem to care about the long term implications caused by excessive and wrongful use of anti-biotics.

--------------
swim bladders are rarely affected by bacterial infections, and most of the information people post online about swim bladder problems is bogus.

The fish does have something wrong with the swim bladder because it sinks as soon as it stops swimming, but I highly doubt this is bacterial. The fish also appears to have a neurological problem that causes it to fall on its side. This could be caused by bacteria, virus, protozoa or a stroke. Viruses and protozoan infections regularly cause neurological problems in fish and neither are treated with anti-biotics.

Good luck with your fish. I don't think it's going to end well but it's your fish.
How, @Colin_T do you know they aren’t bacterial. Are you doing an Outcomes Study? No! You just don’t like that someone else with a little knowledge has jumped on your train to help others too. Why does it have to be a competition with you? Let’s just help others. If I don’t agree with you then I just ignore you. Can’t you do the same? Twice today you have blasted me. Just leave me out of your games, please!

Post Note: Spoke with my vet friend tonight. He said that you can’t tell If it’s bacterial in swim bladder without a blood test but that 90% are. Said too many people wait to long to start antibiotics. BINGO! God bless the USA!
9E278BCA-3E31-48E0-867F-4554115D0637.png

Last edited:

--------------

:yahoo:

Have to agree. In the UK we can't get antibiotics without a prescription and I assume its the same in France (they are also really unlikely to help :(). At 15 he has had a good life and most do not live that long in an aquarium - so kudos to you for taking such good care of him.
Thank you for your kindness.

How right you are and this morning here in the SW France we are having a good dose of rain, but the sunshine won't be far behind. There's no change in my fish he and is still eating well but I think it would be good to know your kind method of euthanisation. I am frightened of being clumsy and so make him suffer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back