My 15 year old red parrot fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

susan333

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I'm new to this forum and need advice please. My (at least) 15 year old parrot fish, and over 20 cm long, has a problem that might be something to do with his swim bladder. He is in a 120 litre tank by himself as he has in the past been aggressive with other occupants. He doesn't come to the surface any more to take food and just sits on the bottom of the tank. I now feed him small pieces of raw prawns or cooked shelled peas by hand. I have to steady him with the other hand most of the time when feeding him as sometimes he will roll over onto his side. If I flick his tail I can get him to swim round the tank normally, and then he will settle again on the bottom. He may flop over a couple of times and usually manage to right himself, or I will have to help him. He will stay like that until the next hand feed and just watch me when I walk past. I have read that it can be over feeding and constipation, and that one should not feed for three days. I doubt this as I have been giving him the same rations for years. My parrot fish is really quite old now and I wonder if he is just coming to the end of his life. If this is the case. Also, I've read that it could this be a bacterial infection of the swim bladder, in which I would need to know what type of antibiotic to give and the dose.
Any help or suggestions would be so appreciated, I am very attached to my old fish.
Thank you

can you post a short video of the fish so we can see how it moves or doesn't move?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Maybe something wrong with his balder? Has he been running into the tanks sides? Has he recently jumped out of the tank? @Deanasue and @Colin_T are some of the best here, consult with them. :)

stick the videos on youtube and copy & paste the links here. we can view them at youtube.

Sorry, I can't seem to upload the videos. I've tried 'attach files' and 'insert image'. Do know of any other way I can do it.

As Colin said, post them on YouTube, then paste the links to YouTube on here.

Sorry, I can't seem to upload the videos. I've tried 'attach files' and 'insert image'. Do know of any other way I can do it.
Upload the video on youtube and then copy the link ,pasting it on this post.

We really need to fix this, I just tried to upload a 2 second long video, Andy it said it wasn’t allowed? Or the extension wasn’t allowed? Something along those lines.

We really need to fix this, I just tried to upload a 2 second long video, Andy it said it wasn’t allowed? Or the extension wasn’t allowed? Something along those lines.
I agree with this and also they need to add video attachment too.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Maybe something wrong with his balder? Has he been running into the tanks sides? Has he recently jumped out of the tank? @Deanasue and @Colin_T are some of the best here, consult with them. :)
Hello, no he doesn't bump into the side of the aquarium, hasn't tried to jump out either.

It probably has to do with the fishes age. A geriatric fish’s organs will slow down just as a human’s does. He may be starting to experience kidney failure. I am treating one for the same thing right now except mine is a very old goldfish. I am giving him epsom salt baths 2 x’s a day at the rate of 1/2 tablespoon of epsom salt to one gallon of dechlorinated water at same temp as his tank. Place the fish in for 15 minutes then place him back in tank. Also fast the fish for 2 days and then feed a blanched, de shelled pea for next few days. I am also giving mine Kanaplex and Furan 2 according to package directions. Here’s how:
Day 1: give 1 level spoon (included in package) of Kanaplex per every 5 gallons of water. Also add 1 envelope of Furan-2 per every 10 gallons of water.
Day 2: 25% water change and Furan-2 only.
Day 3: Kanaplex and Furan-2
Day 4: 25% water change and Furan-2 only
Day 5: Kanaplex and Furan-2
Day 6: Do nothing.
Day 7: large water change

Edit Note: once any fish has kidney problems they are prone to issues again. Feed less as they age. It is harder for a geriatric fish to recover but it’s worth a try. Wishing you the best.

Last edited:
It probably has to do with the fishes age. A geriatric fish’s organs will slow down just as a human’s does. He may be starting to experience kidney failure. I am treating one for the same thing right now except mine is a very old goldfish. I am giving him epsom salt baths 2 x’s a day at the rate of 1/2 tablespoon of epsom salt to one gallon of dechlorinated water at same temp as his tank. Place the fish in for 15 minutes then place him back in tank. Also fast the fish for 2 days and then feed a blanched, de shelled pea for next few days. I am also giving mine Kanaplex and Furan 2 according to package directions. Here’s how:
Day 1: give 1 level spoon (included in package) of Kanaplex per every 5 gallons of water. Also add 1 envelope of Furan-2 per every 10 gallons of water.
Day 2: 25% water change and Furan-2 only.
Day 3: Kanaplex and Furan-2
Day 4: 25% water change and Furan-2 only
Day 5: Kanaplex and Furan-2
Day 6: Do nothing.
Day 7: large water change

Edit Note: once any fish has kidney problems they are prone to issues again. Feed less as they age. It is harder for a geriatric fish to recover but it’s worth a try. Wishing you the best.
Thank you so much for your advice. I did try Epsom salts directly in the aquarium 2 spoons in 120 litres tank , and then a change of the water. Perhaps the dose was too small in so much water He's big so I couldn't think of way to get him out of the aquarium and into a bowl to give a higher dose of salts without stressing him out. I have already tried a 7 day fungal treatment with water changes. I was just wondering about antibiotics as I read that an infection of the swim bladder could cause the problem. Unfortunately the 2 vets I normally use have no idea about treating fish. What do you think?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back