My 125L Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jamepsss

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Might as well do a journal on this one now I've decided to plant it again. It used to be a moss only tank but after moving house and storing everything in a plastic container in a garage the moss pretty much died. The bit I salvaged went in my bigger tank.

Anyway, got a new piece of redmoor for this tank and the plants are Cabomba, Hygro Corymbosa, tall hairgrass and Bacopa Carolinia (correct me if I'm wrong though as I'm not sure).

Lighting is standard Fluval 2 x 20w T8. I have a Fluval 205 which I'm hoping to upgrade sometime soon and a Koralia 1 powerhead. Substrate is inert Unipac black sand although it's more grey than black.

Full tank shot

P1010334a.jpg

Still need more plants in here but what's in there so far is growing really well.

Left side
P1010340a.jpg

Is that Bacopa on the right of the wood?

Right side
P1010338a.jpg

A massive pot of hairgrass from the pond section. Messy to prepare but worth it for £3.

Thanks for looking.

Nice - you planning on leaving the middle bare or are you looking to fill in?

Thanks, will probably fill in at some point. It's very much a work in progress at the moment, the plants were plonked in a few weeks ago, left to grow a bit and then I rescaped it last week.

Nice :good: love the Hairgrass, I don't think I'd have the patience to buy a pond pot and plant it like that, well done! I always get it tangled up :(.

Good deal on the hairgrass. :good:

Yeah can't complain for that price. It's a lot of work to split it up and clean away all the dirt it's planted in but you probably get about 20 times the amount you would get normally. Hoping it will grow really tall and across the surface.

Looking good James. Loving the substrate and the wood!! :good:

Cheers mate! I'm not a huge fan of this sand as it's a bit light but it will do for now.

Nice :good: love the Hairgrass, I don't think I'd have the patience to buy a pond pot and plant it like that, well done! I always get it tangled up :(.

Thanks. Yeah, just ripped it all apart in a bucket of water and salvaged what I could. You get an awful lot of grass for the money so losing some of the tangled bits isn't a problem.

Had to get rid of the Cabomba and NEVER AGAIN! I'm still picking bits of it out two weeks later. Put some Hygro Difformis in it's place which has a lot of growing to do. Also, I think the Bacopa is actually Rotala Rotundifolia. Can anyone confirm? It's growing like mad. Added some Crypt Wendtii Tropica to see how they get on.

P1010532.jpg

It's a bit cloudy as I've just upgraded the filter to a Fluval 305 (205 wasn't cutting it) and big water change. Need a spray bar now as it's blowing a crater in to the sand. I've got the inlet at that funny angle so I can unclog the strainer a bit more easily.

One of my ADF's was in a perfect position for a close up shot....

P1010490.JPG

Excuse the dirty glass, it looks clean until you take up a close up pic :)

Thanks for looking.

Cabomba is a cold water plant really - it doesn't do well in tropical tanks. Perhaps that's why you had issues? I like the addition of crypts.... :good:

Cabomba is a cold water plant really - it doesn't do well in tropical tanks. Perhaps that's why you had issues? I like the addition of crypts.... :good:

Cheers. Yeah, it grew really well for the first month or so and then it just kind of fell apart. It's a nice looking plant when it's doing well but I won't be using it again, lesson learnt.

aaargh, cabomba!!! i spent most of this afternoon attempting to reduce the chaos caused by the very same thing! Leaves everywhere!!! :crazy:

and me, had exactly the same thing with it. Beautiful for about a month and then if it wasn't already dead you'd kill it yourself! :grr:

I love your tank btw. I was drawn to this post because I am upgrading to a Fluval 125 soon so I'm stealing looking for ideas :hyper:

fantastic looking tank. I was looking at the black unipac sand today for my planned apisto tank and was wondering if it was inert. How deep have you got the sand for planting? Ad

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back