Murky

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kev350d

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive had my tank set up shy of a fortnight and since the night it was set up ive suffered murky cloudy water, ive read what i could find on new tank syndrome but this advises that it should have cleared.
My tank had to be stocked with 6 gouramis (3x golden and 3x pearl) and also a hell of alot of plants when my father in laws tank burst last week.

I run a fluval 405 ext canister and now a fluval 4 plus int. my water stats are as follows:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.0
Nitrate 0

I have donated media in my 405 although its early days yet, I have gave the tank 4x 20% water changes since setting it up and used only Tetra Aqua Safe and yesterday i used BClear and noticed no change 24hrs later.

I have 1st layer substrate under the gravel but this i doubt is causing the issue as it gives off a brown peaty colour when rinsed.

The gravel was rinsed through before being placed in the tank.

Short of changing all the water and rinsing off the gravel again does anyone have any suggestions.

Here are a couple pics that ive took (darkened slightly to show the colour and depth of the cloud)

Is it bacterial or dust ?

tank.jpg

tank1.jpg

Btw. the fish seem to be very active and healthy although i have been told to not feed them for 3 days they eat the small amounts i have been feeding them with no scrap falling from the surface (and with no ammonia showing could this be an issue) and should i continue to feed in small ammounts.

They are fed once daily (small pinch) 20% water change done every second day, water test kit is an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit cost a few quid but dont know how accurate they are i was told they are very good.

The water is still cloudy so im now at a total loss as to what to do, if it wasnt for the fish i would remove all substrate and rinse again to start a fresh. Tank looks as if it is full of barley water.

bacterial bloom. sometimes it takes a while to clear. watch out how much you feed at each sitting and take out any leftovers.

I wouldnt worry too much its likely to just be as the tank is new, the bacteria make the water cloudy at first sometimes. If the fish arent suffering it should be fine.

Thanks for the reply folks, the tank is on the mend i have dosed the water with BClear and it seems to be working a treat although i will do a 20% water change tomorrow night and again every other day until it is crystal or at least clear with an expected peaty tinge as my tap water has a ph of 7.8 so i have some large bog wood and also Ehfi Torf in my filter that is keeping it down to a more reasonable 7.0-7.2.

I also prefer the slight colouration although the white cloud was annoying.

I cant do any harm by carrying out water changes every other day for a couple weeks can I ?

Also the fish seem very healthy and they are extremely active one thing that i found a little odd is that although they are all gouramis 1 male golden + 2 female and 1 male pearl and 2 female they all kinda shoal together and only break each others company when foraging.

0 nitrates is an odd reading... how old and what type is your testing kit?

Yep i was testing the for nitrates in the same manner as ammonia :blush:

New readings taken just now:

Nitrate : 5.0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 7.0

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back