Multis in Community

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

miyarro

Reaction score
I have been researching this like crazy. Neolamprologus multifasciatus are generally kept in a species only aquarium. I would like to add a small group of them to my community. I'm looking for advice on this topic. I have a standard 90 gallon aquarium stocked with:

8x Pearl Gouramis
15x Bettas [F]
2x bristlenose Plecos
1x red lizard pleco
1x Sultan pleco
6x African Dwarf Frogs

My idea would be to clear half the aquarium and cover it shells. I know they become quite aggressive during breeding so I was thinking if they get the whole one side the tank, they can establish their territory. This is awesome in theory....The only reason I think this may work, is due to the aquarium size. These will be my first group of multis and I am hoping to make this work BUT I am here to gather opinions of people who may have owned them before. I've added a picture of my aquarium. I would be setting them up on the right side.

* Hardness may be a slight issue, I've done some minor research and it seems my fish can be happy and healthy at 8pH but of course it needs to be adjusted slowly over time so they can acclimate appropriately. If you have further advice on this, please let me know :) *

Attachments

• 20201226_165407.jpg
    20201226_165407.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I looked into getting Multis at one point also, but ran into a problem. Water hardness. It seems like you mostly have fish that prefer softer water in your betta and gourami. Although, there are others who know more about the adaptability of the fish in question.

I think pH at about 8 should work for all involved? I'll have to do more research on that....

No it won't work. Multifasciatus are from Lake Tanganyika, which has a pH above 8.0 and a GH above 350ppm (usually around 400-450ppm). The fish and frogs you currently have come from soft water and won't live for long in very hard water, and vice versa with the multis in soft water.

If you want multis, set them up in a tank with hard water so they can thrive.

Thanks! I shall avoid these little feisty shellies until I can provide optimal conditions:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back