Multiple Tank Syndrome ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
@Slaphppy7 Wait until she goes to visit somewhere for a day or two without you then set it up. She'll be mad but steel yourself for the fury. She will demand you get it out but fake an injury to put it off for a week or so. That will give you time to curry her favor and make her relent.
:D...devious, yet crafty...I like it!

@Slaphppy7 Is Lauren using her room? There is a perfect spot for the 75. Glad you still have it BTW.

@Back in the fold I know MTS very well (both hording tanks and the snails:no:). Went from a 29g to a 55g to a 75g, then MTS grabbed a hold and I thought why not add more tanks rather than getting bigger tanks? So I added four 10g, two 20L. Ditched the four 10g and replaced with two more 20L. Then bought a 125g, four 40B, three 30g, three 15g, a 29g, 50g low boy, 30g cube, 40g cube and five 75g within a couple years. Moved to another house and set up a fishroom complete with PVC central air system and diaphragm air pump. Added a 120g, two 50g low boy tanks, a 350g tub and a couple rimless 16g tanks and a rimless 22g. Added a 75g acrylic tank and traded a glass 75g for it (sweet deal).

Moved again and sold the vast majority of the tanks-adding a 180 (that the movers destroyed) and a 120.
Currently have the 125g, 120g (2'x4'), 120g (5'x18"), 75g, 75g acryllic, 50g low boy, 30g, 22g rimless cube, 20L, 15g, and 10g running.

The 180g which cannot hold water anymore will be reused as a turtle enclosure

Not running right now but maybe in the future are:
Glass 75g which is going to be a saltwater tank
40g cube which will be a mini reef tank
20L which may be a wood cat tank
Two 50g low boys which may become amphibian tanks
6 gallon rimless which will be a shrimp tank in the next weeks/month

Lol, hope this makes you feel better...no I don't breed-they are all to increase my variety of fish/plants.

Last edited:
@Boundava
Nope, L moved out, so Mrs. Slap decided to commandeer the empty room with HER stuff...natch

I'm only allowed to have one. It's a BIG one (125) but one nonetheless. In fact I had to have a talk with my folks yesterday to have permission for a mere temporary quarantine tank. :rolleyes:

"MTS" is real. 4 years into my "Wet Pet and Underwater Gardening" journey. About 2 years ago I was up to 6 tanks and 2 grow-out tubs. Breeding EBA and Bolivians along with plants. It just got to be a chore with the maintenance. Right now I have:
55g African Male (about a dozen assorted Haps and Peacocks)
33L African Female (about 2 dozen assorted Haps and Peacocks)
20L Electric Blue Acara Growout (Pair with 2 dozen fry about 12 weeks)
10g QT using for a EBA growout (2 dozen fry about 6 weeks)
29g (resetting this tank, "PP" treatment, getting ready to move some EBA fry)
3x 10g and a 20H empty
Looking to upsize the 55g to a 90 or 125g come springtime.
My journey continues....

MTS - Passion or Affliction? Hmm...time for another article...
It starts out with just a single tank. Then there are fry or a need for a hospital or quarantine tank. Your domestic manager (spouse) looks on with disapproval and strongly suggests that enough is enough. Along with more tanks, you acquire all sorts of 'stuff' to support your addiction...pumps and filters and heaters and more. You wonder, 'is it really just a hobby'? You 'graduate' to homemade food and/or culturing live foods. You breed a few fish and raise the fry. You long for a bigger, better display tank. And on it goes.
Footnote: There is no known cure. :)

EDIT: and how could I forget....you join a fish forum or two, a fish club, write articles, become the Editor/Publisher of a fish club newslretter publication, build a tropical fish related website / blog....but enough about me! LOL

Last edited:
EDIT: and how could I forget....you join a fish forum or two, a fish club, write articles, become the Editor/Publisher of a fish club newslretter publication, build a tropical fish related website / blog....but enough about me! LOL
I thought you were talking about me then. Except I did fish clubs first, then the interweb thingy appeared and it was forums, then newsletters and editorials . . . yadda yadda yadda.

But the fish room came first :)

You lot would have loved Ken (one of the guys from fish club). He had a fish room with 200 tanks in but ran out of space so built another one. And he didn't stop there. He had a dozen ponds that were 10ft in diameter x 4ft deep, all connected to a giant pond at the end of the property, that had its own boat in. He also had dozens of smaller ponds scattered around the place and even had a bunch of wheelie bins with water lilies in. There were frogs, fish and plants everywhere. It took a couple of hours just to feed all his fish. :)

Like it's a bad thing , huh ? Went to the pet shop this week and bought two more tanks. Another 20 high and a 10 gallon. I'm up to six tanks now. My Aplocheilus lineatus Golden Wonder Killifish are fruitful and multiplying rapidly. Need more grow out and breeding space. Six tanks to maintain and propagate a single species ? This is getting out of hand. I'm starting to accumulate spare pumps and heaters but I need some more black sand, a 150 watt submersible heater, a big sponge filter and another siphon hose. The room is getting crowded too. I build my models in there and I have a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle half completed. Live foods going on shelves and worm cultures in the closet.
My Feng Shui Master was asked the question: Can you have too many fish tanks?
His answer was: Only if there’s not enough room to walk around. From 5-7 was good, depending on how big the house is, and how it felt, and 9 could be ideal.
You may be approaching the limits of your space. If it starts feeling confining, could you find homes for your multiplying fish?
The other alternative is get a bigger place ?

My Feng Shui Master was asked the question: Can you have too many fish tanks?
His answer was: Only if there’s not enough room to walk around. From 5-7 was good, depending on how big the house is, and how it felt, and 9 could be ideal.
You may be approaching the limits of your space. If it starts feeling confining, could you find homes for your multiplying fish?
The other alternative is get a bigger place ?
@seannx The only limits are our tiny minds. I can always find walkways. A bigger house is out of the question. I think I can do four more tanks. As soon as She Who Must Be Obeyed has gotten over the latest acquisition (approximately 7 - 8 months ) I can then begin hinting at further expansion. This time it's going to be the coveted six foot tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back