Multiple Tank Syndrome ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Like it's a bad thing , huh ? Went to the pet shop this week and bought two more tanks. Another 20 high and a 10 gallon. I'm up to six tanks now. My Aplocheilus lineatus Golden Wonder Killifish are fruitful and multiplying rapidly. Need more grow out and breeding space. Six tanks to maintain and propagate a single species ? This is getting out of hand. I'm starting to accumulate spare pumps and heaters but I need some more black sand, a 150 watt submersible heater, a big sponge filter and another siphon hose. The room is getting crowded too. I build my models in there and I have a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle half completed. Live foods going on shelves and worm cultures in the closet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 117
My wife is holding me to four tanks but I will have a breeder tank for breeding tetras fry (ember and glow light) this summer for a short term project. My model room is in the basement which is where the fry tank will be. ;)

I used Uncle Sam's stimulus money or I would have been held at 4 tanks. My current model is a wood framed HMS Bounty. If I spill water on that you'll hear me cry all the way out there in the North Woods. Maybe should've stuck to plastic.

It starts with you really like a type of fish but it isn't appropriate for your aquarium, so you set up a new tank, but then some fish don't get along, so you setup a 3rd for the fish that don't get along. Then your "bad" fish decide to breed so you set up a 4th to raise the fry. I am trying to stop at 4 but started to enjoy the plants as much as the fish, now the maintenance is getting out of hand... More time at home with COVID restrictions is not helping either.

Right now I have three tanks set up, 55g, 29g, and a 20g long. I just got the 20g long set up yesterday.
What's most addictive for me is setting up a new tank, then going through the process of getting it ready for things to live in it.

So, in high-school, I had a 55, a 35, 4 x 20gal, and 6 x 10gal in my bedroom. That was some time ago.

Now I have a 42 gal bow-front. That's it.

However, I am about to order a 300 gal custom. And I have plans in the works for 4 x 10 gal, 2 x 20 gal, and 2 x 40 gal.

Good to be back home!

(edit: removed type-o that was annoying me)

Last edited:
Like it's a bad thing , huh ? Went to the pet shop this week and bought two more tanks. Another 20 high and a 10 gallon. I'm up to six tanks now. My Aplocheilus lineatus Golden Wonder Killifish are fruitful and multiplying rapidly. Need more grow out and breeding space. Six tanks to maintain and propagate a single species ? This is getting out of hand. I'm starting to accumulate spare pumps and heaters but I need some more black sand, a 150 watt submersible heater, a big sponge filter and another siphon hose. The room is getting crowded too. I build my models in there and I have a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle half completed. Live foods going on shelves and worm cultures in the closet.
I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how your killies were doing. :)

Got up this morning and checked on the new tanks first. The water is still in them. They passed that test although I did check the ten gallon the day I got them. I'm a glass half empty kind of guy so I was happy about this. On to completion. Aqueon glass tops for both tanks are back ordered so I'm waiting on those. Last night I was laying awake in bed and thinking to myself and I said, "Self, do you really want more Golden Wonders in those two brand new tanks ?". The ten gallon on the bottom is just a wee bit difficult to get to. I have to get down on my hands and knees , not so easy these days, and change water out through a six inch opening. I have a method for doing that but it is slow. Big deal, I'm retired and have nothing else to do anyway. Could I put a pair of nice guppies in there and just let them go wild ? Or the ever popular and beautiful Brachydanio Zebra ? The mind boggles. And then there's the twenty. If I could find a pair of Mesonauta festivum I would be tempted. The problem there is I'd need another tank or two pretty soon. Resistance is futile.

I have 5 tanks, a 40B, a 29G, and a 10G, plus 2 5.5G for QT...have a perfectly good 75G sitting out in the garage that I picked up off of the side of the road, after a good cleaning and leak test, it seems brand new...our house is small, so not much room...trying to convince my wife that we don't need a couch, I never sit on it anyway...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back