Multiple Colored Platy Fry from 1 Mom?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Bella_Bee

Reaction score
Hey all! So our Golden Mickey Mouse Platy had fry. I managed to save a little under 30 of them. We have orange mickeys and yellow mickeys. BUT in her little bunch most are yellow and orange but thereā€™s 7-8 grey ones. Is that common? For them to have random colors? The babies are 16 days old and they already have their Mickey ears on their tails EXCEPT the grey ones. On a side note we recently got swordtails (1male 1female) and I read they can breed as well... could that be what happened? I havenā€™t found anything online explaining multiple colored fry. Thanks in advance for any info

Hey all! So our Golden Mickey Mouse Platy had fry. I managed to save a little under 30 of them. We have orange mickeys and yellow mickeys. BUT in her little bunch most are yellow and orange but thereā€™s 7-8 grey ones. Is that common? For them to have random colors? The babies are 16 days old and they already have their Mickey ears on their tails EXCEPT the grey ones. On a side note we recently got swordtails (1male 1female) and I read they can breed as well... could that be what happened? I havenā€™t found anything online explaining multiple colored fry. Thanks in advance for any info
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

Any chance of a picture of the fishes?

Best of luck!

Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

Any chance of a picture of the fishes?

Best of luck!

Here is the best I could get of the babies on the left. I also added mom and ā€œdadā€(?)

Attachments

• 8DE51E89-779D-45B4-B85B-2D48F9FE4113.jpeg
    8DE51E89-779D-45B4-B85B-2D48F9FE4113.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 216
I have to say all the fish look really healthy and happy to me. Personally I wouldnā€™t worry!

Wait until the fish are older and more mature.

The only thing thatā€™s concerning are mum and dads clamped fins. This is why I asked for your parameters earlier. You need hard water for platies. They need a GH/PH of above 7+ at the minimum. Without these ranges generally they suffer.

Good luck and congratulations!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The platies currently sold in shops look nothing like their wild counterparts so there is always a chance of some fry looking like their ancestors.

Swordtails and platies will hybridise so should not be kept in the same tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back