Multi tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am going into the fish business. Well, as soon as I can anyway. :)

Problem. Can anyone explain a simple way to put multiple tanks on one filtering system? I have one rack set up already that is eight ft long, and has three shelves. will build more as needed. Just am not sure about the expense of individual filters versus a "gang' set up.

hey that's really cool man. let me know if your going to ship out of state. plants or fish, i need a decent place to get fish from that's trustworthy. know what I mean.

what size are the tanks on the shelves you have? there is a way to do just not sure how yet. I'll have to look. Rose

10 & 15 gallons most likely. Got to start somewhere. I'll have my larger tanks to display the really cool stuff. But have to have lots of those tetras and barbs you know..

GL if you need a website for it give me a shout ;)

When I had my place I used a sump filter which ran 6 20gal tanks. Gravity feed to the filter and one big pond pump back to the tanks.

FOr the smaller tanks, I'll planning to do in the fish hut, is getting a high blow air pump and running sponge filters in the corner. This I think would be cheeper plus it'll keep the tanks seperate, so no cross-contamination between tanks. Another Idea is having loads of nets. It's unbleaveable how much nasties nets can carry. Especally when money is envolved.

I'm sure Cichlidmaster, Pete and Mac will give you there setups, as they run several tanks. :D

Good luck m8 it's great being in the fish world. Just wish I could do it again

Multiple tanks??? What are those :laugh:  :laugh:  ;)  ;)

Alright here is what I use...and before anyone's chin hits the floor, please keep in mind I have been using this set-up for well over 10 years...

I am from the "old school". No fancy shmamsy filter systems for me. To many things to go wrong. My philosophy...keep it simple.

I use simple internal box filters and sponge filters...THAT'S ALL!!!

In the box filters I use aged aquarium gravel and filter floss. The aged gravel harbors tons of bacteria as does the filter floss. At water change time I rinse the floss out in aged aquarium water. I do lose some bacteria from doing this, but very little.

All filters are ran from a 1/3 hp blower. I will list the tanks I run on this system soon.

Hey Rose...What am I "Chopped Liver?" I have been known to sell and ship the odd fish or two lol

GL I'll put a link in here where you can find equipment at a very good price...when I can find it. Here ya go jehmco

Go there and look at the different blowers and Linear Piston air pumps. I believe a blower would be overkill, unless you plan on adding many more tanks. Really have to go with Davy's suggestion...sponge filters.

Any questions about my set-up...feel free to ask :D  :D

Alot of lfs use undergravel as the fish are never in the tanks long anyways lol, or you could use air fed sponge filters as another lfs does near me.

Personally i use large internals but mostly big external filters due to the loading on most of my tanks (big predators and well stocked to the point of over-stocked community tanks)

A sump system would be great also as Davy mentioned..........but.............i think i'd use air fed sponge filters as they are cheap to buy and easy to maintain.

BTW you dont even need a "high blow pump" you can do what a friend of mine (who has a fish hut) has done and just use several twin airpumps with the same effect, but the main advantage of doing it this way is that if one pump fails youve got another 3/4 to fall back on instead of all the filters shutting down!!!!!!!

Hope this gives you some ideas m8 ;) :D

Hey Rose...What am I "Chopped Liver?" I have been known to sell and ship the odd fish or two.
Didn't know that. Here's the kicker dude. I wouldn't know what to do with a cichlid if I had one. I don't have the set up or know how to deal with them. That's why I never asked. I'll keep you in mind though next time I'm looking for something. Promise. :D

Davy, would love to set up a sump system, but don't know if I want to go through drilling hole in all the tanks for the drains.

Larry, thanks for pointing out the site for me. Awesome food prices! I'll be wanting to talk to you about a great livestock deal too.. :) :) :)

A-ha The thing was I was using black plastic tanks.Basiclly holding vats. Plus the colour elped keep them calm, whit all the shiping. plus most orders came without viewing the stock so didnt need show tanks :laugh:

And I'll helpset up you website for you :grin:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back