Mts.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bigcheed

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all was thinking of introducing some Mts to my cleaning crew. I have nerites in my tank and I'm worried the Mts will take over and out compete them for food. Any advice would be welcome.

I think that MTS usually have a population explosion if you over-feed! If this happens you could put some assassin snails in and they would keep the population in check.

Trumpets tend to occupy a different niche than nerites. I've been able to keep trumpets, pond, ramshorn, nerites, and mystery snails in the same tank. I over fed it on purpose, but each snail seemed to get enough food.

Thanks guys. Think I'm gonna go ahead and get some. Welsh weeks how do your Cory cats get along on gravel substrate. I'm thinking of getting some for my 10g betta tank. Was thinking of changing the gravel for sand though. Might not bother if it's not needed.

I lost mine to a disease a few months back (not updated my sig, will do shortly) They all seemed fine imo. The disease they had infected other species in the tank so that was nothing to do with the gravel substrate. My gravel is quite small and smooth with no jagged edges. The general opinion though is that sand is best, the choice is yours.

I have kept corys on nice rounded gravel and they had no health issues, however after having them on sand I would really recommend it for them. The sand allows them to filter and sift the sand through their gills, encouraging their most natural of behaviours.
Some cory species maybe more susceptible to infections if kept on gravel, when my tank had gravel my false julii never did any well, while the peppered corys powered along. Now on sand my false julii are almost as big as my largest male peppered corys, and have never shown the tendancy to weaken and die off like they did on gravel substrate.

I didn't know cory were sand sifters. I learn something new every day.

There was a fantastic photo on here ages ago of a panda cory and sand all flowing out of its gills. I have watched my own corys many times with their faces buried up to their eyes deep in the sand rooting around for tidbits in the sand.
Maybe they aren't true sand sifters like say gobies but they certainly do chew it and filter it through their gills.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back