moving tank to different house

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AlphinaNovaStar

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My landlady says I have too many fish tanks so I have to move one of my tanks to my mum's place. What is the best way to move a tank to a different house in the same zip code? Right now the tank has two guppies and one cory catfish.

My landlady says I have too many fish tanks so I have to move one of my tanks to my mum's place. What is the best way to move a tank to a different house in the same zip code? Right now the tank has two guppies and one cory catfish.
Unless you live upstairs I don't see how you can have too many fish tanks. If you also pay utilities out of your own pocket then water and power are not her concern. Sounds to me like the old bat is looking for a reason to be (editing the person who edited my post for a different word, as difficult is not the word I'd of used) AHEM, it sounds like the old bat is looking for a reason to be A MEANY PANTS.

Now onto your question. If you are planning to deliver it yourself its pretty easy to move the tank. Place the fish in a bucket or similar sized container with an air stone, use a heater if you are going to be placing them anywhere drafty/not room temperature, then turn off ALL your aquarium appliances (filter, air pumps, heaters, lights, etc.). Secondly remove your filter and place the filter media in a plastic baggy/seal-able container with tank water so that you can keep your beneficial bacteria. Next, empty your tank of all the water, remove ornaments and place in a box with a bit of bubble wrap or newspaper if they are delicate. Remove the gravel (or sand). I don't know if you want to save it or not, but I'd just stick it in a bucket. Once your tank is empty I'd place it in a similar sized box lined with bubble wrap or Styrofoam, if its a small tank you could probably just place it in the box or carefully in your trunk if its not heavy when empty.

Now its time to pack up all your stuff, make sure your fish are secure within their container. Stress is going to occur, but you can minimize it by securing them within the vehicle and covering the bucket/container with a cloth to block out the light. Once you get to your mothers home simply unpack the tank/stand and set it all back up. Make sure you get the filter going with your filter media, and DO NOT refrigerate the filter media, it will kill your bacteria colony. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I'm not sure mine realises how many there are in our house [emoji23]

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

The only thing I'd add is to stop feeding your fish for a couple of days before the move. For the time they will be out of the tank, the water quality in their temporary home (bag, most likely) will be better if they have empty stomachs (and fish can go for weeks without eating, so a day or so isn't going to affect them).

Just out of interest, how big is the tank you need to move?

Nothing to worry AlphinaNovaStar. You can do it by yourself. Get help from google. I shifted my fish tank a couple of years back, with the help of a self-storage and moving unit Burlington. They were packing each and everything from our home safely and shifted it to our new house. The main problem that we faced at that time was the moving of the 55-gallon tank with angelfish. I was more tensed than them. They said that nothing would happen to the fishes but I was still a bit tensed. They removed the plants and the fishes from the tank and placed it in the water separately. They placed the fish in a 5-gallon bucket with the water from the tank to transport the fishes. They kept the empty tank in the moving boxes and transported it. They were a bit disturbed when we shifted them to the bucket. Nothing bad happened to the fishes and they are now as happy as before.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back