The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hello!

Just signed contracts to move house and this will be taking place in just over two weeks. Need to move my tank and inhabitants and would like some help/input from you on the best way to do it. Here's the plan I had in mind, let me know what you think....

Tank - 125L picture of tank
Filters - Fluval 305 external, U3 internal
Inhabitants:
4 Hyphessobrycon bentosi (white tip rosy tetra)
8 Harlequin Rasbora
3 Aplocheilus panchax killifish
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Flag Acara
1 BN plec
1 Angel
5 albino bronze corydora
1 nerite snail
1 golden apple snail

Plan
Due to the time constraints on moving day, and in an attempt to reduce the stress on the fish by keeping them out of the tank for the shortest time possible, I am going to move the tank to my parents a week before the move and then move it again in 2-3 weeks time. This is how I'm thinking of doing it.....

1 - Remove bogwood to allow easier netting of fish
2 - Drain 40L (approx - too heavy to lift?) of tank water into sealable container (not sure what these will be yet, any suggestions?)
3 - Remove 50% of the fish into container
4 - Set up heater and U3 loosely inside container
5 - Fill 2nd 40L container with tank water
6 - Remove remaining fish into 2nd container
7 - Position 2nd container on table
8 - Remove external filter and attach to 2nd container, reducing flow of filter to 50% (to prevent creating a whirlpool!)
9 - Use 2nd heater in 2nd container
10 - Drain remaining tank water and discard
11 - Leave plants and gravel inside tank
12 - Transport tank and stand
13 - return to collect 40L containers.
14 - Remover U3 filter (tie in plastic bag) heater, seal the container
15 - Same for 2nd container.
16 - Transport container, heaters & filters
17 - Drain containers back into tank
18 - Top up with conditioned water

job done????

Sounds like a solid plan to me. For moving tanks and temporary fish storage, I normally use the big plastic storage tubs. The lids don't exactly create an air tight seal, but they do snap on and are easy to manage. If you have someone to help you can move them easy as they can withstand being lifted when full of water.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. For moving tanks and temporary fish storage, I normally use the big plastic storage tubs. The lids don't exactly create an air tight seal, but they do snap on and are easy to manage. If you have someone to help you can move them easy as they can withstand being lifted when full of water.

I think I know what you mean....like these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/litre-Clear-snap-lid-460mmd/dp/B000HOJAVO/ref=sr_1_8?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1298991069&sr=1-8

I think I know what you mean....like these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/litre-Clear-snap-lid-460mmd/dp/B000HOJAVO/ref=sr_1_8?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1298991069&sr=1-8

Yep! There are endless varieties of these types of containers. The clear ones might be more expensive than that solid colored ones. I know that around here any DIY store has them for very cheap. You can get them as small as 10 gallons, or as large as 50 or so. I've got 2-35 gallon sized ones just for water changes and fish acclimation purposes alone. They're great to own.

Yep! There are endless varieties of these types of containers. The clear ones might be more expensive than that solid colored ones. I know that around here any DIY store has them for very cheap. You can get them as small as 10 gallons, or as large as 50 or so. I've got 2-35 gallon sized ones just for water changes and fish acclimation purposes alone. They're great to own.

cheers. Will pop to Homebase and see if they have some.

Maybe give the tank a clean while it's empty?

Only thing i would say is mind to switch your heater off and let it cool before removing the water from the tank or the heater from the tank... saves you going looking for a new heater.

All the best with the move.

Only thing i would say is mind to switch your heater off and let it cool before removing the water from the tank or the heater from the tank... saves you going looking for a new heater.

All the best with the move.

thanks, note made. Hadn't thought of that precaution.

Would a cool box designed for drinks be a good container?
I imagine it would help keep the water warm like a thermos flask?

Would a cool box designed for drinks be a good container?
I imagine it would help keep the water warm like a thermos flask?

luckily I only need to move them 10mins down the road so keeping the water warm should not be a problem.

I just moved a 100gal and 80gal tank and took down a 36gal. I did the 100 and 80 in one day.

I drained 100% of water. I took most of the water out with fish still in them so I could catch them easy.
I took all fish out put them in rubber containers and some in bags then boxed. My pet store gave me a bunch of bags.
Took all decor out and took all sand out and put in buckets.
Left filters full of water. Put plants in buckets with fish.

The fish were with out heat for some time so I would cover them in blankets near a heater to keep them warm. They all made it even my discus.

Once I got home I put all boxes of fish under a blanket and set up the tank. I was moveing only 15min away so the water was the same here. Once tanks were full I started the filters got heaters goig . Then I just added fish and went to sleep. It was a very long day.

All of the fish made it and were fine. With the exception of my festivum. My 2 year caught it when I turned my back. That fish was a little beat up but he healed up well.

Moveing is a pain in the butt. Congrats on the house!!

I would just move the tanks once don't bring them to your parents and move them again that's more stress on you and the fish.

I just moved a 100gal and 80gal tank and took down a 36gal. I did the 100 and 80 in one day.

I drained 100% of water. I took most of the water out with fish still in them so I could catch them easy.
I took all fish out put them in rubber containers and some in bags then boxed. My pet store gave me a bunch of bags.
Took all decor out and took all sand out and put in buckets.
Left filters full of water. Put plants in buckets with fish.

The fish were with out heat for some time so I would cover them in blankets near a heater to keep them warm. They all made it even my discus.

Once I got home I put all boxes of fish under a blanket and set up the tank. I was moveing only 15min away so the water was the same here. Once tanks were full I started the filters got heaters goig . Then I just added fish and went to sleep. It was a very long day.

All of the fish made it and were fine. With the exception of my festivum. My 2 year caught it when I turned my back. That fish was a little beat up but he healed up well.

Moveing is a pain in the butt. Congrats on the house!!

I would just move the tanks once don't bring them to your parents and move them again that's more stress on you and the fish.

thanks for the tips snowflake.....sadly I saw them after I'd finished the job! Made the first move successfully this morning. Only took about 2.5hrs to get everything done. Kept the fish filtered and heated for most of that time.

Was the first time I've ever needed to do it (obvious from the topic I guess!) so wanted to ensure it didn't take far too long and put the fish at risk. Plus, I dont think I will have 2.5hrs on moving day to dedicate soley to the tank so thought it prudent to move them, leave for 2-3 weeks, then move again.

Was very happy to see all inhabitants colour back up within 1hr of being reintroduced. Even found 3 amano shrimp that I thought died 6 months ago.....which was nice!

So seeing as I just moved 2 years ago and had to move 5 aquariums full of inhabitants I think I may actually be useful in this topic lol.

I went to my LFS/LPS and asked for about 12 of there medium sized fish bags for each tank. I then caught all the fish and distributed them through out the bags. I also had several (3 or so) buckets with lids that I filled with water. I set the tanks up the day I arrived at the house and didn't lose a single fish. Now, my move was only about an hour away.

Reading your plan, it sounds pretty solid. Do it to it, and I wish you the best of luck :)

Most reactions

trending

Back