Moving From An Internal Filter To An External Filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

polomint

Reaction score
Hi all, I came across your lovely site in the search for some help and advice. 

I have a 130 litre Tropiquarium88 it is an old type tank with a solid lid with only availability to cut on a section in the back middle  of the lid. 

I have 6 hoplosternums , 4 angels and 3 plecs, two bristlenose and one clown plec. 

I want to take the plunge and get an external filter. i have done some research and they all seem to need two small holes cut in corners which i cant do. 

I have no experiance in externals  so would really welcome your help and advice. 

Thanks

Attachments

• Tropiquariumhood.jpg
    Tropiquariumhood.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 221
There is likely a way around this.  It is true that the rear corners work best with outside canister filters because you can have the filter intake at one end and the return at the other, creating a flow down the tank.  Just how close to either corner can you get?  I would use this opening for the filter intake.  The return could then be down the tank or if need be in the same area, with the spigot facing down to the opposite end wall.  The water will be drawn into the filter and then pushed down the tank, so it will create some circular flow.  Using just the spigot and not the spray bar will create a stronger intensified flow aimed at the end wall.  I actually use this in my 5-foot tank (the hose doesn't reach further) with the return about 15 inches from the end wall and it is quite effective.

Byron.

Thank you for your reply. the only area to cut out is in the centre of the back and that would have to be for both out let and inlet. how long are the spray bars on average. another problem i thought of was the friction that might be caused to the tubes when opening and closing the tank. the electrics are in the corner of the tank lid as the wires are installed in the hood. The picture i posted are of a slightly different model you can see the cut out area in the bottom right had corner but this is in the centre of mine.Thanks 
fish.gif

As I am not familiar with this type of hood, I can't really offer much beyond generalities, so not knowing how it opens I can't answer the issue of friction.  As for spray bars (mine are 11.5 inches in length), they attach to the spigot (as I call it) and can be left off.  I certainly would here, as otherwise the water flow in and out of the filter will be confined to the area beneath the opening.  With the flow directed down the tank without using the spray bar, at least there is some circulation.

Another thought is replacing this hood with a simple glass cover set.  If the light can be removed from the hood, obviously.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back