Moving from 60L tank to 860L pond - advice pls

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tomdaven

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a small 60L coldwater tank inside with 10 white cloud minnows, it has a small pebble substrate, small filter and aerator.

I've built an 860L above ground pond which i'm going to start filling up and the plan is to transfer the minnows over and add some more eventually. I've got plenty of water plants ready to go in (Lily, hornwort, frogbit, water milfoil, water violet).

Looking for advice as to how best cycle the water in the pond, once i've added the dechlorinator.
Thinking of moving all the substrate over to the pond and also putting the sponge from the filter into the pond.

Any help would be great. thanks

I you add everything from the tank to the pond as will help a little bit the problem is the volume change is so great that what ever bacteria you have is going to struggle to colonise such a large area , but with such a small stock for a pond I wouldn’t of thought you would have any issues at all , what ever bio load they create the plants should sort out

I you add everything from the tank to the pond as will help a little bit the problem is the volume change is so great that what ever bacteria you have is going to struggle to colonise such a large area , but with such a small stock for a pond I wouldn’t of thought you would have any issues at all , what ever bio load they create the plants should sort out
Thanks!

Sounds wonderful! Would love to see a photo of the pond if you feel like sharing! :D
Do you have a filter for the pond?

Sounds wonderful! Would love to see a photo of the pond if you feel like sharing! :D
Do you have a filter for the pond?
Thanks, slight delay in finishing the pond, due to the crazy heat. Hope to finish by the end of the week once it cools down.

Not planning on having a filter at the moment, going to try and put lots of plants in and see how it goes.
The fish are tiny so barely produce any waste. Have got a fountain to keep the water moving around a bit. Ideally i wont have a filter but can always add one later.

Be interested to hear people's opinions on having a filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back