Moving fish to new tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
I plan on moving my fish into a larger tank but only have the one filter so to avoid cycling could I drain my own tank into the new one then add water or will this still remove the bacteria I need , this may sound silly but I have never transferred a whole aquarium before and donā€™t want to get it wrong any advise would be great I also plan on upgrading my filter should I use all the old material from my old filter in the new one or will my water hold enough bacteria to do a complete filter change ?

If the new tank is fully set up just move the established filter over with the fish. Beneficial bacteria live on surfaces, they do not live in the water so you don`t need to reuse old water. What would help is to put some old substrate in a mesh bag or tights and place that in the new tank for a few weeks until the bacteria has reestablished.
Leave the filter for a couple months. When you get the new one move all the filter media to the new filter.

If the new tank is fully set up just move the established filter over with the fish. Beneficial bacteria live on surfaces, they do not live in the water so you don`t need to reuse old water. What would help is to put some old substrate in a mesh bag or tights and place that in the new tank for a few weeks until the bacteria has reestablished.
Leave the filter for a couple months. When you get the new one move all the filter media to the new filter.
The new tank is completely empty picking it up tomorrow, itā€™s only 1ft larger than my current tank , so would I be able to use all the gravel bog wood slate etc would this be enough to keep the bacteria, or is cycling the new tank the only option , Iā€™m basically looking to put the whole contents of my old tank into the new without waiting but donā€™t want to kill any of my fish or even stress them

The new tank is completely empty picking it up tomorrow, itā€™s only 1ft larger than my current tank , so would I be able to use all the gravel bog wood slate etc would this be enough to keep the bacteria, or is cycling the new tank the only option , Iā€™m basically looking to put the whole contents of my old tank into the new without waiting but donā€™t want to kill any of my fish or even stress them
As @Naughts suggests move your whole filter into the new tank along with the wood, slate etc. This will be fine. I would use new gravel, add (new) dechlorinated water and turn the heater on. Then at moving time simply move your bogwood, slate (+any ornaments and plants etc). Move the filter into the new tank start it up and then immediately transfer the fish. This is the least stressful way as you aren't even disturbing the substrate while the fish are there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back