Moving fish tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Flaggers

Reaction score
Relatively new to the fish world, have had my tank in a certain room in my house for the past 6 months of ownership. We are looking to move the tank into another room of the house and as it's too heavy to lift, just wondering what the best way to move the tank to a new room would be? Is there any special tricks? My current plan is to empty all the water out and leave a little bit in the tank until it's light enough to potentially carry, then lift the tank into the new room. If the tank is still too heavy with a little bit of water, will put the fish into buckets and completely drain the tank of its water and then move.

Any other tips or tricks or words of advice? Feeling a little nervous about the whole thing lol. Cheers!

Empty all the water. Tanks are strong when stationary but when a tank is moved any water sloshes around and that movement can twist and damage the seams.

Post #2 in this thread is about moving house, but the principle is the same from moving rooms in the same house

Empty all the water. Tanks are strong when stationary but when a tank is moved any water sloshes around and that movement can twist and damage the seams.

Post #2 in this thread is about moving house, but the principle is the same from moving rooms in the same house

Ah yep that makes sense, thanks mate. I'll have a read of that now.. looks a lot longer and more complex than I was thinking.

I prefer to empty the tank as much as possible. I remove my fish first and place them in a 5 gal bucket with tank water. Then I take care of the tank stuff (moving, cleaning the substrate, filling it half with new water) then I add the fish and half the old tank water back. Boom. Done.

Depending on the size,you can borrow the things people use to carry heavy glass, those suction cups. I moved a 150cm and a 120cm tank like that (well two guys did, i couldn't even lift the damn thing)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back