Moving Fish Tank When Moving

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mayu

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am going to be hopefully moving (if all goes well) into a new house. I have 2 fish tanks. One has mostly rainbow and x-ray belly tetras and the other has a few varieties of dwarf cichlids and 1 blue ram.

How would I go about moving the fish? cause I'll have to move the tanks to the new place, set them up, cycle them... what would I do with my fish in the mean time? how do I go about moving the fish tanks to a new house without losing the fish? I love these fish. I don't want to lose them in the move.

i am also hoping to move into a new house this year, and am also stumped by what to do with my fish :p hope someone can help you out.

why would you ahve to cycle your tanks again?

as long as you kkep your filters in water i.e a bucket then the mature media want die off that quick.

I will save all the water in some bottles and reuse it, sono need to cycle again.

All the fish can be put in a bucket or a large covered recipient.

If you have external filters then you can move them with alittle water inside them.

Internal filters can be moved in a sealed plastic bag,

The most time consuming part will be catching the fish and gatheringall the sand/gravel you may have. Sand can be sucked together with water.

If you can please move the aquariums at last, after you are movedand all the things are in order in the new home.

Good luck!

I moved from Surrey to Bristol then from Bristol to Norfolk with all my fish a few years ago.

Basically I got a large polystyrine shipping box and some large heavy duty fish bags from my LFS and put the fish in them. Syphoned off as much water as I could into large bottles, placed the filter media into other plastic bags with water and most of the gravel and ornaments into large buckets. I didn't loose a single fish which amazed me to be honest. In fact the last fish from all those years ago, a large upsidedown catfish, died just a couple of years ago when the heater exploded in the tank. :sad:

just posted my own thread about this subject before I found yours. I've listed my plan of how I expect to do it and hope others will contribute any tips

thread is here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/353587-moving-house-tank-would-like-your-help/page__pid__2946060__st__0&#entry2946060

ahh I didn't even think of that... keep the water in bottles or buckets and then reintroduce once settled. okay that makes more sense. I was just panicked when I realized, if I do get to move, what do I do with my little fish... Now I'm not as panicked should all go well and I move.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back