Moving and only rainwater accessible.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Where would you recommend buying crushed corals/any brand you like using?
Crushed coral is a natural product from the ocean The brand doesn't change the chemistry or behavior of the material in the aquarium.

You can also use limestone rocks or shells instead of dead coral rubble. A number of pet shops and stock feeders sell bags of white shells to put on the bottom of bird cages. You can use that shell too, just rinse well before use and don't inhale the dust when you open the bag. The shells are about the size of your fingernail.

You can also use limestone rocks or shells instead of dead coral rubble. A number of pet shops and stock feeders sell bags of white shells to put on the bottom of bird cages. You can use that shell too, just rinse well before use and don't inhale the dust when you open the bag. The shells are about the size of your fingernail.
I prefer limestone chip, for this sort of thing. I think it works better than crushed coral.

So I'm gonna be using sponge filters, so ill have to put the limestone chips in a media bag somewhere close to the sponge filter. I'm gonna use equilibrium to remineralise the GH and then for the KH, will the limestone chips or shells act the same as coral rubble, or is there one of these three that would work the best?

Most pet shops in Australia that sell marine fish will sell bags of dead coral rubble. However, shells, limestone and coral skeleton are all made from calcium carbonate and do exactly the same thing. Limestone and shells are much cheaper than dead coral rubble.

If you live near the coast, go to the beach and look for some limestone rocks. They are cream or white coloured and most of the groins are made from limestone rocks. Just find a few pieces that are the size of your fist or double that size, and are not in the water. take them home and hose them off and put them in the tank.

Limestone is a reasonably soft rock and you can drill, cut or grind it to make different shapes or put holes in it. You can even cut it into sheet and make bridges, etc.
Just use safety glasses and a dust mask when cutting, grinding or drilling it, or use a wet saw/ grinder to stop the dust.

Most pet shops in Australia that sell marine fish will sell bags of dead coral rubble. However, shells, limestone and coral skeleton are all made from calcium carbonate and do exactly the same thing. Limestone and shells are much cheaper than dead coral rubble.

If you live near the coast, go to the beach and look for some limestone rocks. They are cream or white coloured and most of the groins are made from limestone rocks. Just find a few pieces that are the size of your fist or double that size, and are not in the water. take them home and hose them off and put them in the tank.

Limestone is a reasonably soft rock and you can drill, cut or grind it to make different shapes or put holes in it. You can even cut it into sheet and make bridges, etc.
Just use safety glasses and a dust mask when cutting, grinding or drilling it, or use a wet saw/ grinder to stop the dust.
Safety first!. Thanks for the suggestion. Ill probably use limestone of the shells. I think that will pair nicely with seachem equilibrium. Thanks for you help.

You can use Aquasonic Rift Lake water conditioner to raise the GH, KH and pH. It used to have more minerals in than the seachem stuff.

Hi again. Would Petbarns aviary shell grit do the job for kh/ph, or would the whole shells be better?

Attachments

• C5AB6573-5D56-45D1-B676-434FBC761183.jpeg
    C5AB6573-5D56-45D1-B676-434FBC761183.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 12
As long as there are no oil, chemicals or additives in the shell grit, it will be fine, but it's very expensive. I used to buy 20kg bags of white shells for $6.00. If you can find bags of white shells, they should be a lot cheaper than shell grit.

Rinse the shell under tap water before using it in an aquarium.

I
As long as there are no oil, chemicals or additives in the shell grit, it will be fine, but it's very expensive. I used to buy 20kg bags of white shells for $6.00. If you can find bags of white shells, they should be a lot cheaper than shell grit.

Rinse the shell under tap water before using it in an aquarium.
Ill see if I can find some

see if there are any bird shops in the area. places that sell birds (canaries, budgies, etc). They usually carry bulk bags of seed and shell and are normally cheaper than pet shops

see if there are any bird shops in the area. places that sell birds (canaries, budgies, etc). They usually carry bulk bags of seed and shell and are normally cheaper than pet shops
Settled on this. Sounded like what you described with the finger nail size. Hope they will do the trick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 12

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back