Mouthbrooder Tips?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

babystarz

Reaction score
One of my male betta ocellata is holding eggs for the very first time :) If anyone who has experience with mouthbrooders could share your tips for encouraging him to keep holding, I would be grateful. So far I've just been giving him privacy. He is in a community tank (I have 2 pairs of siblings in a heavily planted 20 long, no other fish). I am leaning toward not moving him out of there. He's comfortably ensconced in an upside down herb planter and seems content to wait out the incubation period there. Will the babies be alright if I leave them to be born there?

And it looks like the other male is already holding too!

You will need to pull them or the others. After a week of holding you should be able to do either. After they release fry it is best to pull all adults and let the fry get up to a good size before allowing any adults in there. I have fry now from my ocellata and another male holding. I left the male in the second time and he ate the fry.

You will need to pull them or the others. After a week of holding you should be able to do either. After they release fry it is best to pull all adults and let the fry get up to a good size before allowing any adults in there. I have fry now from my ocellata and another male holding. I left the male in the second time and he ate the fry.

Thanks, I'll get the growout tank ready sooner rather than later!

Most reactions

Back