Mouthbrooder Spawns

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
Only a few people know about this, as I've been keeping it quiet for fear of the previous "Letting TFF Know Jinx"... :shifty: My foerschi male is holding! He's due to release any day! :hyper: This is big news, my friends. :D They spawned early last week, I forget what day, so any time now... he's in the release tank. I am so excited, as he has swallowed a good 10 spawns and I had written him off as a chronic egg swallower. -_- Yey!! Finally a good boy!! :wub:

As I'm going to soon have some foerschi fry (unless by some freak accident this post does them in), I decided to spawn my falx again and raise them together. :thumbs: Also decided to do this because in the past few weeks my female has become depressed - I honestly think she was having a horrible time seeing her lover but not being able to get to him. :rolleyes: :unsure: Anyways, they got down to business and spawned today. :) The interesting part that I got so excited about? She spits the eggs to him, AND she has a mouth pouch too! She had a good 10+ eggs in her mouth and was randomly spitting them to him between wraps and such. It was incredibly beautiful. :wub: My foerschi don't do that - the male picks up the eggs, and I had missed the early spawns with my falx, so this was awesome. Dad is currently being AWESOME! He's tumbling every few seconds, gently lovin' on Mom still, and just all around being a great pops. He's wonderful. :)

Here's a few pics of both daddies, for those who haven't seen my wilds. :D

Attachments

• foerschigreen.jpg
    foerschigreen.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 88
Whoops, forgot to say that was foerschi. Here's the falx. :thumbs:

Attachments

• falx4.jpg
    falx4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 98
thats awsome Julie :hyper:

congrats and i hope it turns out well :nod: :thumbs:

DD

Amazing. You are breeding so many rare Bettas. Really curious how the mouth brooderstake care of their fry.

Hope all turns out well.

Thanks everyone! :D ral - Mouthbrooders are so incredibly interesting, if you ever have the chance to get a pair, I really recommend jumping at that. :nod: They're just beautiful to watch spawning, and then dad is so wonderful to watch taking care of the fry. He is so dedicated, he doesn't eat for two weeks. :blink:

awesome, soon ill have 4 types of mouthbrooders they are so awesome, i hope all goes well with both daddys :D

Which mom? :p Here's foerschi. This is when she was trying to figure out how to get through the divider to spawn with her honey... and yes, she figured out a way. :rolleyes: She always hops it (even though there is less than an inch to get through - the tank does have a lid!) when she wants to spawn. Brill. :wub:

Attachments

• foerschigal.jpg
    foerschigal.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 102

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back