Mother Fern hybrid- growing underwater?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
"Maori Princess" is big garden fern for me outdoors and its related to the common Mother fern house and garden plant depending on what your climate is. Well,reading that the princess is a hybrid of Asplenium oblongata a fern of shady stream banks. Have had it for 20 years or more. Well,the aquarium hobby's record of finding Asplenium ferns that will grow underwater got me to put some "mom fern plantlets" into the big aquarium glued to driftwood a couple of weeks ago. DANG ME that I found them growing new croziers today! Now,it could be last effort before they die and I also saw a fish nibble on their base....but I'm shocked to see this fern looking good in leaf and also sending out the fiddleheads.
What's next is cross fingers.

All three have tiny croziers,this is the most advanced. Princess fern in the backyard(bottom right) and the plantlet underwater in the aquarium. Whole planting glued to wood isnt much but looks ferny.

Attachments

• IMG_4665.jpg
    IMG_4665.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4716.JPG
    IMG_4716.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4714.JPG
    IMG_4714.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 34
As I truly thought- it lasted but did not grow but for the tiny croziers. It slowly rotted. As it did soften and rot my Roseline barb took to eating those pieces. So,no waste.
I see that Aspleniums that grow rhizomes are the ones to test. Not crownferns.

Most reactions

Back