Most unexpected birth ever! Baby glowlight danios! NEED HELP!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, Today I was watching my tank when I saw a tiny little glowlight danio fry in my tank! I was shocked to see what it as I had no idea how to breed them nor did I do anything to try to! I then investigated the tank to find 4 or 5 others in the tank as well! To say Iā€™m underprepared would be the understatement of the century as I wasnā€™t expecting them at all! Iā€™ve added floating plants to the tank and am currently on my way to buy a breeder box- im not entirely sure if I need it more as a precautionary. All Iā€™ve done in the tank since Iā€™ve got it is keep the water super clean and Iā€™m sk proud Iā€™ve had baby danios! Any advice on what to do would be so appreciated!

Attachments

• 0B72B459-CDF9-443F-8C0D-AE51DAB8B8DE.jpeg
    0B72B459-CDF9-443F-8C0D-AE51DAB8B8DE.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 127
  • EFC0C0A8-77D8-404E-8355-A33A9BBA2977.jpeg
    EFC0C0A8-77D8-404E-8355-A33A9BBA2977.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 121
  • F0BF49AC-CAEC-4AA5-A25B-845EC1240D26.jpeg
    F0BF49AC-CAEC-4AA5-A25B-845EC1240D26.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 122
  • C11265B4-BDED-499C-B4EA-749568ABE0BE.jpeg
    C11265B4-BDED-499C-B4EA-749568ABE0BE.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 114
If there are other fish species in the tank, moving the fry into a breeding net that hangs in the corner would be a good idea. At the size these fry are now, they might not get eaten by their own species, but other fish might go after them. A net that just clips over the frame is the best for this.

Food is critical, and dried leaves are the best. Dead dry leaves like oak, maple, birch, or some stores sell almond leaves. Put a couple/few in the breeding net, or in the tank if you leave the fry. The leaves will produce infusoria as they decompose, the ideal first food and it promotes faster growth. Also, at the size these are, you can crush up a flake or two with your fingers, mix in a dish of tank water, and pour or squirt (a pipette, like a small baster) the food among the fry. They will pick off anything that moves.

Lots of plants, especially floating, the thicker the better.

If there are other fish species in the tank, moving the fry into a breeding net that hangs in the corner would be a good idea. At the size these fry are now, they might not get eaten by their own species, but other fish might go after them. A net that just clips over the frame is the best for this.

Food is critical, and dried leaves are the best. Dead dry leaves like oak, maple, birch, or some stores sell almond leaves. Put a couple/few in the breeding net, or in the tank if you leave the fry. The leaves will produce infusoria as they decompose, the ideal first food and it promotes faster growth. Also, at the size these are, you can crush up a flake or two with your fingers, mix in a dish of tank water, and pour or squirt (a pipette, like a small baster) the food among the fry. They will pick off anything that moves.

Lots of plants, especially floating, the thicker the better.
There are other fish in the tank only because I never expected egg laying fish to give birth! Iā€™ve moved over thick floating plants and have a breeder box ready although Iā€™m unsure where to place it in the tank, how to move the fry into it without stressing them etc etc

There are other fish in the tank only because I never expected egg laying fish to give birth! Iā€™ve moved over thick floating plants and have a breeder box ready although Iā€™m unsure where to place it in the tank, how to move the fry into it without stressing them etc etc

Yes, catching the fry is not easy, and it will alert everyone to their presence. Given they have survived so far, and this has been the most difficulot as they were more vulnerable, it might be best to leave them. Add plants, dried leaves.

Yes, catching the fry is not easy, and it will alert everyone to their presence. Given they have survived so far, and this has been the most difficulot as they were more vulnerable, it might be best to leave them. Add plants, dried leaves.
Perfect, they have mainly stayed around the top of the tank, whilst most of my fish are bottom dwellers. Being danios they are also by far the quickest fish in the tank. Iā€™ve boight baby food and will also feed baby brine shrimp etc into the tank

I keep my fry in a bare bottom 5G tank. Catching them is fun though. I use a sponge filter and feed Hikari First Bites. Itā€™s a powder and they love it. I also feed live baby brine shrimp. You can Google how to make a hatchery out of a water bottle and air tubing. Very easy. I clean the tank bottom with a turkey baster. Congrats!

Congratulations :fish:I have also kept my tetra fry in the tank and had 14 grow to adulthood but I also used a fry net with some success. The key is to have plenty of hiding spots. I used hornwort and anacharis to float in my tank for them to hide in. My tetra fry seemed to really like hiding in it. Here is a picture of two of them waiting for me to feed them. They are together near the top edge

Attachments

• GEDC1222.JPG
    GEDC1222.JPG
    786.7 KB · Views: 115
Congratulations :fish:I have also kept my tetra fry in the tank and had 14 grow to adulthood but I also used a fry net with some success. The key is to have plenty of hiding spots. I used hornwort and anacharis to float in my tank for them to hide in. My tetra fry seemed to really like hiding in it. Here is a picture of two of them waiting for me to feed them. They are together near the top edge
Thanks! Iā€™ve got hornwort in the tank and loads of hiding spaces! Probably why the danio eggs werenā€™t eaten by plecos or corys! Iā€™ve counted 18 fry which I think is an absolute triumph! Iā€™m feeding them baby bring some baby fish food crushed tropical flakes which is going into the whole tank

I keep my fry in a bare bottom 5G tank. Catching them is fun though. I use a sponge filter and feed Hikari First Bites. Itā€™s a powder and they love it. I also feed live baby brine shrimp. You can Google how to make a hatchery out of a water bottle and air tubing. Very easy. I clean the tank bottom with a turkey baster. Congrats!
I donā€™t have a spare tank otherwise I would! I may leave the fish instead of putting in box in fear of stress. Theyā€™re so quick danios Iā€™ve seen the guppies unable to catch them when moving towards them so hopefully should be fine

Guppies do not eat their own fry so they may leave the other fry alone too. I hope so. I have never tried having different fish in with my guppies but looking at adding some soon.

Guppies do not eat their own fry so they may leave the other fry alone too. I hope so. I have never tried having different fish in with my guppies but looking at adding some soon.
Theyā€™ve seen them and then go for them but the danio are lightning fast

My guppies have always eaten their fry, even when well fed and with lots of hiding places

My guppies have always eaten their fry, even when well fed and with lots of hiding places
I wish mine did, I would not have had to re-home them(feeder guppies) to my RES turtle tank, My fancy guppies tank has several new fry in it. They mostly have a nice orange color and I watched as small fry swim right past the adults without them going after the fry. There are not as many fry showing up so It may be awhile before I cull the herd. I am thinking of adding some molly, platy or swordtails to the tank and that may take care of any future over population.

Egg laying fish gave birth? Egg laying fish don't give birth, they lay or scatter their eggs if I'm not mistaken.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back