Mossimo Moss Ball algae?!?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jonatheber

Reaction score
If any of the below is dumb, apologies - I'm new to a planted tank. I have started to see random LONG clumps of algae in the tank, but they are very disbursed (e.g. some clumps were on a dying plant I removed). I just noticed today the growths coming off of the Mossimo Moss Ball that you see in the picture. The question is whether these strands are actually normal growth patterns for the moss balls, then so be it. However, if it is algae, how do I best get rid of it? It doesn't seem to be typical "long hair" algae - other than when I pull out the occasional clump, there isn't ANY growth to be found on other plants.

Some tank details:
1) I have a 46g.
2) I change the water weekly. It has no issues.
3) I have a Fluval 3.0 light. I leave the light on about 8 hours a day at about 75% (although the blue light is at about 15%).
4) I use Thrive fertilizer per the instructions.

Attachments

• Algae 1.jpg
    Algae 1.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Algae 2.jpg
    Algae 2.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 65
If any of the below is dumb, apologies - I'm new to a planted tank. I have started to see random LONG clumps of algae in the tank, but they are very disbursed (e.g. some clumps were on a dying plant I removed). I just noticed today the growths coming off of the Mossimo Moss Ball that you see in the picture. The question is whether these strands are actually normal growth patterns for the moss balls, then so be it. However, if it is algae, how do I best get rid of it? It doesn't seem to be typical "long hair" algae - other than when I pull out the occasional clump, there isn't ANY growth to be found on other plants.

Some tank details:
1) I have a 46g.
2) I change the water weekly. It has no issues.
3) I have a Fluval 3.0 light. I leave the light on about 8 hours a day at about 75% (although the blue light is at about 15%).
4) I use Thrive fertilizer per the instructions.
i mean.. marimos are algae, maybe eit got teared

I get a hair algae like this sometimes. It is usually from too much light, or an imbalance of light and ferts.

Even when I forget to roll my marimo balls around for a few months they will fall apart rather than grow up. Mario balls grow VERY slowly, so this is likely a type of hair algae.

I get a hair algae like this sometimes. It is usually from too much light, or an imbalance of light and ferts.

Even when I forget to roll my marimo balls around for a few months they will fall apart rather than grow up. Mario balls grow VERY slowly, so this is likely a type of hair algae.
yes. just remove it so it isnt a problem

(what about the luigi moss balls?)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back