The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi, me again...:kana:
Mosses, how much do they grow and how fast? Looking to find some easy plants for variety.
I love the look of moss.
Anyone?

Java moss is really hardy and easy to grow in low light. I got a nice size ball of it about 6 months ago it was pretty dead in the middle of it but I picked out what I could and added it to driftwoods in the tanks. I now have so much of it that I end up sucking bits of it up in water changes every week.
This is what I started with
1FF9B567-D6F1-408D-806D-8A4FB4A46FD8.jpeg

And this is what it’s like now on one of my driftwoods in the shrimp tank

DC3F464A-67CF-4455-8D19-167796D2388A.jpeg

Mosses are great, can be slow to moderate in growth, but they do pretty well. Theyre pretty low tech

:flowers:
Java moss is really hardy and easy to grow in low light. I got a nice size ball of it about 6 months ago it was pretty dead in the middle of it but I picked out what I could and added it to driftwoods in the tanks. I now have so much of it that I end up sucking bits of it up in water changes every week.
This is what I started with
View attachment 120549
And this is what it’s like now on one of my driftwoods in the shrimp tank

View attachment 120550
Thanks for posting pictures!
Glad to see you; seems like it's been a while
:flowers:

That looks nice, Ange. I had a bunch of christmas moss in my SE Asia tank. I like the look of it better than java moss. It has a really cool form. The java moss in my South America tank would mostly creep along the surface of the driftwood; it rarely got bushy and never as tall as AB's. There are several other kinds readily available too. They are all pretty.

I think my next tank is going to have a moss wall for a backdrop. :)

That looks nice, Ange. I had a bunch of christmas moss in my SE Asia tank. I like the look of it better than java moss. It has a really cool form. The java moss in my South America tank would mostly creep along the surface of the driftwood; it rarely got bushy and never as tall as AB's. There are several other kinds readily available too. They are all pretty.

I think my next tank is going to have a moss wall for a backdrop. :)

I love the look of christmas moss and want to get some for the tank, I just want to decided where to put it first as it’s pretty heavily plant now and I don’t know moving to much around in the shrimp tank. My plants grow/moss grows really well without anything but I have been using a bit of flourish here and there in the shrimp tank just to help the plants establish better so this would be a huge benefit to its fast growth but my lighting is also a full spectrum light. So there is extra help here

No moss is as hardy as Java..not even a close second. Christmas looks great...but Java when pruned on wood or rock looks much the same.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back