Moss

This Old Spouse

TOTM Winner May 2013
Reaction score
I should probably have put this in the planted section but thought I might get some more responses here?

Anyway, got some wonderful moss from Liz and now I'm trying to figure out how best to get it going. I started it out on a large piece of driftwood with some fishing line, but it started to come loose and half of it ended up on my filter intake.

So I thought a really brilliant idea would be to get a hair net, which I thought would hold it down, be invisible, and let the new growth through easily. All that was true, but right before turning off the lights for the night I looked in and there was a poor little trili all tangled up in the net, just like a fishing net. I got him out and he seems all right, but sheesh.

So for now the moss is kind of wadded up in a ball and stuffed in another piece of driftwood in another tank until I can get some good advice on how to work it. How long does it take before it takes hold on the wood and starts to root? How do I attach it in the meantime? I saw a gorgeous piece of driftwood that had some willow moss on it, and it still takes my breath away to look at it. I'd sure like this to work but I need some H E L P.
excl.gif

I use cotton, which I think would have a better holding quality the fishing line (which is smooth). Just wrap it around until it seems secure.

I've read a couple of times now about hair net disasters, so I think they should be avoided ...

Superglue and fishing line I've both used and still do. You have to wrap the fishing line many times or it will come loose like what happened to you.
Cotton seems to be used a lot too although I've only ever tried it once and it all come loose.

I'll admit I was skeptical about using super glue in a tank but after everything I've read and seen in my specialty lfs, it does appear to be very safe to use and works well to hold mosses in place. I plan on using it in the future myself :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back