Moss Wall Technique

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmberMc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the moss wall method shown here - http://www.aquamoss.net/ with Java Moss? Has it been successful? I have relatively low light conditions, and don't use CO2.

I'm going to try it on a smaller scale for a Betta Barracks but haven't begun the process yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have Java Moss growing well with moderate lighting and no CO2 in another aquarium.

Having tried and failed using this method twice I put it down to the following:

Not enough moss and too many gaps (I had £46 worth for a wall 30" x 20")
No shade for the higher reaches resulting in a lot of algae in the unshaded areas
Mesh too thick or holes not large enough

Also I lost 4 Cardinals and 2 Otos that got trapped behind the mesh and 1 Oto that got his head stuck in the holes of the mesh.

I would seriously reccomend doing a search for Liams thread called New Tank because this is the best example of a moss laden tank I have seen.

Andy

So that tank is done with individual suction cups with moss attached? I don't think it would work real well for the carpet effect I'm after... All I have on hand is Java moss, too - and maybe that's not going to be real effective for a carpet either. Maybe I'd be better of with flame moss? I never thought of fish getting stuck in the mesh - thanks for the heads up.

What you do is create a ´moss rope´ with each sucker

tie a piece of string to the sucker and then tie the moss to the piece of string.

It then hangs downward and buahes out eventually merging with the rope next to it.

This way there is nowhere for fish to get trapped or caught and you can move them wherever you want until you get the desired effect.

Andy

Weeping moss seems to work well with me.

It grows mad in a 15 litre with an 11 watt light, and is great for a moss wall. For some reason it grows far better than my Java moss.

Cheers,
Mike

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back