Moss Balls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do you like moss moss balls?

• Total voters
Petsmart has them now in cups like they sell bettas. I have one- not because I think it looks great or anything, but my shrimp love it. The cherry shrimps are always on it picking away. The LFS suggested it for them, and they were right.

I personally really like them if they're used + placed right :)

Right on ! Decent placement is key to any aquascaping :)

you won't find moss balls in any decent aquascape.

(ps if anyone can find a pic of a good aquascape containing moss balls i'll give them 50p)

once again, moss balls should be band.

ADA 2009 #2 ,Marimo balls
rolleyes.gif

I like them for my shrimp to explore, but I don't like then to look at. so I am in the middle :p

I personally really like them if they're used + placed right :)

Right on ! Decent placement is key to any aquascaping :)

you won't find moss balls in any decent aquascape.

(ps if anyone can find a pic of a good aquascape containing moss balls i'll give them 50p)

once again, moss balls should be band.

ADA 2009 #2 ,Marimo balls
rolleyes.gif

WOW....those tanks are gorgeous! I'm not good at design at all, but now I wish I had even a tenth of the talent on display there.

I do not like them, but as people have stated, if used right, they can look very nice......like this piece of driftwod :)

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?driftwood&1324171204

I like my balls!!! I have one in each tank... :crazy:
ummm :unsure: :lol:

Stu, i'll send you 25p, as the aquascaper has chopped the balls up, so in effect they're not balls. :lol:

Hi everyone, can you tell me where to get moss balls and do they need any special care? I'm trying to find one but i cant seem get my hands on any.

They don't require too much care or lighting. You can order them online or get them at the big chain pet stores usually. The sell for about $5-7 each and are usually the size of a golf ball when you get them. They need to be turned about once a month or two or they stick to the substrate and try to spread out a bit. They collect debris and need to be rinsed occasionally. When you see a shaggy piece on them, it can be gently pulled off and will eventually form another moss ball. Shrimp, platy's and gourami like to browse off them. I like different plants and mossy looking things so I like the look of them. They are also great for having with goldfish and some cichlids as they leave them alone and won't eat them like they would with other plants.

Hi everyone, can you tell me where to get moss balls and do they need any special care? I'm trying to find one but i cant seem get my hands on any.

They don't require too much care or lighting. You can order them online or get them at the big chain pet stores usually. The sell for about $5-7 each and are usually the size of a golf ball when you get them. They need to be turned about once a month or two or they stick to the substrate and try to spread out a bit. They collect debris and need to be rinsed occasionally. When you see a shaggy piece on them, it can be gently pulled off and will eventually form another moss ball. Shrimp, platy's and gourami like to browse off them. I like different plants and mossy looking things so I like the look of them. They are also great for having with goldfish and some cichlids as they leave them alone and won't eat them like they would with other plants.

Looking at that picture of driftwood covered with the moss...can I do that with a moss ball? Meaning can you just pull it apart and attach it to driftwood, and then let it spread and grow on its own? Java moss doesn't like my driftwood for some reason.

I'm not sure, I've never tried it. I know it sticks to my gravel so I would think it would stick to drift wood too? You could always give it a go and see what happens.

I'm not sure, I've never tried it. I know it sticks to my gravel so I would think it would stick to drift wood too? You could always give it a go and see what happens.

I'm going to see if I can get it to stick to my betta's little temple thing. Maybe in a few months I'll have an award winning tank. ;)

I'm going to see if I can get it to stick to my betta's little temple thing. Maybe in a few months I'll have an award winning tank. ;)

Not to mention 50p from ianho :hyper:

REALLY useful.

Got one to go in my bristlenose breeding tank.
It's bare-bottomed for easy siphoning of poop, so no substrate to bed plants in.
Plants in pots seem to get bulldozed by the bristlenoses.
Too much surface movement for floating plants.
Giving a moss ball a go. If it thrives, I'll be getting more.

It does look a bit silly, but if it eats up wastes in the water without getting eaten up by the bristlies, I don't much care what it looks like!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back