Moss Balls

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mystil

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello Boys and Girls
Just wondered how people keep there moss balls from falling apart?

I have been keeping two for months going and they seemed okay and now they seem to be splitting up into little peices.

How do you look after them?

I have a couple of Java moss balls which are doing fine.

Are yours Java?

Are you sure it is not the fish pulling them apart?

Nope I am pretty sure that my fish just ignore them. My shrimp love them though.

Not java moss as I have some of that stuff in my tank as well and completely different "leaf" i think.

Is that what is in you sig picture with your betta?

i have the moss balls like in smegs sig, and they are fine!

Yeah, that's the Java Moss. Brinn loves chasing the Corys around it and he occasionally takes a nip at the algae growing on it.

Err, no it's not.
That's an ordinary "Moss ball" which is actually a type of algae called Cladophora.
^^^^^^^

Right, I have several of these, and one unraveled. So, now it looks like a curly carpet. I took it and wedged it into a groove on one of my driftwood pieces, where it contrasts with attached java moss, riccia, and nana pettite. Unravel it, make it like a carpet, and wedge it into a groove. It will look good. By the way, they are called Marimo balls, and they have been referred to as a National Treasure of the Japanese.

Yeah, that's the Java Moss. Brinn loves chasing the Corys around it and he occasionally takes a nip at the algae growing on it.

Err, no it's not.
That's an ordinary "Moss ball" which is actually a type of algae called Cladophora.

agreed.

They split but eventually form balls of their own so you will have 2 instead of 1 :)
how big will they be before they do this, i take it is pretty large!

they do it whenever, and it takes a long time to form a new ball. I had some ages ago, in 1 yr, they grew about 1" larger lol!

Thanks guys...It seems that they are falling apart almost..I will keep an eye on them and see what happens.

I have heard other people here say that theres was falling apart and dying and I was wondering if this what was happening to mine. I suppose I will have to wait and see.
Also maidenhead aquatics say that you should run them under the tap once every two weeks. What do you do/think?

Thanks again
Liza

the MA advice is probably to stop detrius collecting, it is up to oyu if you want to do, alternatively rinse it in the tank water when you do a water change.

i dont rinse mine, i just swill them around when doing a W/C. its much easier, and you dont need to remove them from the tank!

Most reactions

Back