FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goosegrl2019

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got 2 Marimo moss balls because they r beautiful & low maintenance live plants. I have no other live plants in my tank so I'm hoping these work out. Currently they r washed & put in a jar for a couple weeks because I'm paranoid to put them in my tank with my fish. I was wondering if anyone has knowledge about these little balls & if they carry ich or other parasites?? Btw they were in individual cups w water at a local pet store

Any plant, rock, wood or ornament that has been in a tank with whitespot, can carry the disease. Whitespot and many other diseases can also be transmitted thru contaminated water. However, unless the plants came from a tank with whitespot, it's unlikely they will have much on them.

The most common hitch hikers on aquatic plants are hydra, snails and leeches.

If you quarantine the new plants for 2-4 weeks in a separate tank, then any external protozoan parasites like whitespot will die off. It will also give you time to see any snails or leeches that may be hiding on them. Hydra are a bit smaller and if you look closely you should be able to see them. They look like small brown sea anemones.

Last edited:
Any plant, rock, wood or ornament that has been in a tank white whitespot, can carry the disease. Whitespot and many other diseases can also be transmitted thru contaminated water. However, unless the plants came from a tank with whitespot, it's unlikely they will have much on them.

The most common hitch hikers on aquatic plants are hydra, snails and leeches.

If you quarantine the new plants for 2-4 weeks in a separate tank, then any external protozoan parasites like whitespot will die off. It will also give you time to see any snails or leeches that may be hiding on them. Hydra are a bit smaller and if you look closely you should be able to see them. They look like small brown sea anemones.
Thank u for the quick response!! I don't have any idea what this "hydra" is and leeches??? I'm really glad I didn't plop them directly in my tank. So the large jar I have them in should b ok for 4 weeks w water changes or do i have to set up a tank for these guys??

I have 15 moss balls that I ordered on line. I have not had any issues with them beyond one having a brown area. Hydra is small it can go after fish. If you google it there are pictures of it. After washing and squeezing them out I put my moss balls in 1 gallon clear plastic containers full of water.

A large jar of water is fine. Make sure they get plenty of light but don't have them in direct sunlight because they can cook if it gets hot.

Change the water every couple of days and add a small amount of liquid iron based plant fertiliser. I use Sera Florena but there are plenty of other brands available.

Yes, My moss balls have grown in size, one is the size of a tennis ball. My shrimp like to clean them and I have a tetra fry that likes to hide under them.

Hi

I have just learned today you can freeze moss and it will not die, unlike grass, anyway I have been trying to rid a moss ball of some tiny crestation and I'm trying it out tonight as I suspect they won't survive the freezer unlike the moss.

Please post your results
Well after 27 hours or so in the freezer and having had the moss ball in water thoroughly defrosted since last night I can confirm there is no sign of the creatures I was trying to dispose of! Comparing this procedure to the daily water changes I was doing over the course of a week or more its very clear it works! I just want to wait and see if the moss ball survives, I guess if I put it near a bright lamp and see bubbles this will tell

Having just got home I've noticed the pool of water the moss ball has been quarantined in is rather cloudy, any ideas as to why? Did the ball survive it?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back